Re: configure EMS notications to be sent by e-mail

SOLVED
Go to solution
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

configure EMS notications to be sent by e-mail

hi

I am new on sendmail configuring.
on my server mailx is working that is i am able to send mails outward to my e-mail ID.
mailx -s "test"' sujitkumar.singh@xxx.com
is working
i need to configure syslog to configure the sudo alerts to send me mail to the same ID.

is this entry for the same /etc/syslog.conf correct
local2.notice^I^Isujitkumar.singh@xxx.com
local2.notice^I^Isujisin
i have added the alias sujisin also.
the same way using the monconfig to send EMS e-mails messages to send the information messages as test so i have given the same mail ID while configuring monconfig, is that correct? sujitkumar.singh@xxx.com

i have added an alias using /etc/mail/aliases to my name sujisin as sujitkumar.singh@xxx.com

and i can see that i am able to send mail to my mail ID that is sujitkumar.singh@xxx.com using that alias that is sujisin like this

mailx -s "test" sujisin < test is able to send mail to sujitkumar.singh@xxx.com,

1) what else i need to configure in /etc/syslog.conf

2) how to do the settings using the monconfig, do i put the mail ID there or alias name if so , what shall be entry for the alias like.

regards
sujit

8 REPLIES 8
TTr
Honored Contributor

You can not put email addresses in the syslog.conf file.

See the man page for syslogd and scroll down to the paragraph that starts with "The second part of each line describes where the message is to be logged..."

I though that a pipe command utilizing mailx or sendmail might work as a filename but it says in the man page that the filename is kept open in append mode so that would not work.

Not sure why you mentioned EMS and emails in the subject.
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi TTr,

i need syslog to be configured to send mails on events of sudo

as well as send EMS events by mail for notification.

thats why mentioned EMS in the subject line too.

we can for now consider only the EMS evenstto be notified by mail as that is more urgent.

regards
sujit
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor
Solution

Check below Thread

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1259590476770+28353475&threadId=517439

Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
TTr
Honored Contributor

> so i have given the same mail ID while configuring monconfig

That's fine except that EMS only monitors hardware events. It does not monitor any logging events or files such as the sudo alerts. Have you received any emails from EMS about hardware events?

You need to look within sudo itself if there is such an option or find another way by running a script to monitor the sudo/syslog logs for sudo alerts.
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Johnson/TTr,

Thanks for the replies, i have configured the same using the monconfig command and put in there that alias and done the newaliases.

the corresponding *.sapcfg file shows the the following
MONITOR: /system/events/cpe
Criteria Threshold: INFORMATION
Criteria Operator: >=
Target Type: EMAIL
Target EMAIL address: sujisin

where sujisin is the alias, which we shall need to observe till the corresponding EMS event occurs and then shall get the mail.

regards
sujit
TTr
Honored Contributor

EMS as it is installed in HP-UX has several hardware monitors for most of the common HP hardware. These "monitors" are EMS modules that define hardware subsystems and how EMS is checking their status and how it reports alerts. Some optional hardware have their own EMS monitors that you need to install when you install the optional hardware. Other vendors may provide their own EMS monitors for monitoring their product.

HP also provides an EMS developer's kit. I have not looked at it and can not tell if it can be used to set up a monitoring module to do what you are asking. Maybe somebody else that has used it will reply.

There is mention of a "monvols" EMS module to monitor LVM volumes. LVM monitoring is probably based on using standard LVM commands. Therefore what you are asking may be possible.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B7611BA
Javed Khan_1
Valued Contributor

instead of adding monitoring request in ems just add an alias in /etc/mail/aliases

So any mail which comes to root , i.e all ems event in syslog and sudo security alerts will be sent to your email id

# Person who should get root's mail
#root: sujitkumar.singh@xxx.com

I guess it helps

Javed
Never Give Up
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

closing the thread.. thanks for the valuable responses

regards
sujit