108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

configure, make, compile nessus 1.2.7 on hpux 11.00, Ansi C and C++

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Levy
Advisor

configure, make, compile nessus 1.2.7 on hpux 11.00, Ansi C and C++

I am trying to compile nessus 1.2.7 on hpux 11.00. I have B3901BA, B.11.01.20 HP C/ANSI C and B3913DB, C.03.33 HP aC++ installed on the machine, as well as bison 1.875 and flex 2.5.4a.

I am able to compile the nessus libraries, and nasl. I configure the core successfully, but when I try to issue the 'make' command, I get:

# make
cd nessus && make
Make: Don't know how to make all. Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

There is a 'nessus' directory, and if you issue a make command from within it you just get "Make: Don't know how to make all. Stop."

Is this something easy? What should I be looking for? I'm not too experienced at such compiles.

Thanks,
-Ron Levy

3 REPLIES 3
Mariani Alberto
Frequent Advisor

Re: configure, make, compile nessus 1.2.7 on hpux 11.00, Ansi C and C++

Ron, i know this may sound stupid, but it seems you either don't have a file called "Makefile" in your source directory or you need to use make with a string after it (the answer you get is correct: when invoked without parameters, make searches Makefile for a section called "all" and fails if it doesn't find that).

If Makefile is present, try looking for sections with names that mean something like "compile everything".

Otherwise, if you only have a Makefile.in or Makefile.am, then you need to run configure (if that exists) from the source directory of Nessus and, if that works and doesn't give errors, retry with make.

Hope this helps.

Bye,
Alberto
Zeev Schultz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ron,
I suspect the makefile to be written with rules
understandable by GNU make (gmake) but not by hp standard make.I had simmilar issues with ethereal's building.I'd go for gmake first here: http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Gnu/make-3.80/

Here's also an article how to build nessus on Solaris,can be useful:
http://www.sunhelpdesk.com/users/john/nessus.htm

Zeev
So computers don't think yet. At least not chess computers. - Seymour Cray
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Ron,
As Zeev has said, try with the gmake.

I have got this error before and this is due to /usr/bin/make being called rather than /usr/local/make (GNU Make). You may need to rename gmake to make and put the dir in the PATH before /usr/bin for this to work.

Hope this will fix your problem.

-Umapathy
Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!