7321 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: connectivity issue

MKR_1
Frequent Advisor

connectivity issue

Hello Experts,
We are facing a peculiar problem in a server.Server A has some connectivity issues with server B alone.I am not able to ping server B from server A.But I am able to ping Server A from Server B.But as soon as I start a ping from server B to server A am able to ping Server B from server A as well.
Both the servers are in the same LAN.Server A has hpux11iv1 and server B has hpux11iv2.Please help with a solution for this problem
7 REPLIES 7
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

If you stop the ping operation (from server B to server A) does the ping in reverse direction still work ? Or you can only ping B from A while B is pinging A, i.e. ionly if there is a icmp connectivity established ?

This sounds like you are not on the same network or even if you are, there is some sort of primitive firewall between the two servers somewhere that you are not aware of.

Hi,

Is Bastille running on the 11i v2 box? Sounds like security hardening might be in effect.

swlist | grep -i bastille

Rgds,
Abid Iqbal
Regular Advisor

Hi,
Sharing netstat -an from both servers may be helpful to see if both the servers on same network.
MKR_1
Frequent Advisor

Yes Bastile is installed in the 11v2 server.Should this be removed.
Server B # swlist|grep -i bast
B6849AA B.02.01.02 Bastille Security Hardening Tool

I have also attached netstat o/p of both the servers
cnb
Honored Contributor

No you don't have to remove it unless you want to and you aren't concerned with someone hacking into the v2 system.

See the man pages and the Bastille users guide for how to set it up:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodClassId=10008&contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=64255&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=4181952

check this file for changes that Bastille applied to your system (from the man page)

/var/opt/sec_mgmt/bastille/log/action-log

Rgds,

Abid Iqbal
Regular Advisor

Hi,
Also please share the netstat -rn from both
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

I'd like to see a traceroute of both servers by ip and hostname.

From A
traceroute B
traceroute B ip address

From B
traceroute A
traceroute A ip address

nslookup a
nslookup a ip address

nslookup b
nslookup b ip address
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law