5764 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

console redirection?

meekrob
Super Advisor

console redirection?

Hi All,
i need to help a frienf on a remote distant site to troubleshoot a problem with his hp9000server signaling a "System" LED flashing red and i told him to send me the output of: MP> SL however, he can only access MP menu (by pressing Ctrl B from the # prompt) from a console/dump terminal directly attached to the server as the MP is not configured with an ip addressand he does not know to configure it (he's not an IT guy even that i send him the steps). Is there a way (same concept as output redirection << )to transfer the output of the MP>SL command from the console to an active pseudo terminal so he can copy/paste me the info into a text file for analysis ?

Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: console redirection?

>from a console/dump terminal directly attached to the server as the MP

What kind of terminal?
If you could connect a PC there, you could log the output.

>console to an active pseudo terminal

Is the system up so he could login?
meekrob
Super Advisor

Hi Dennis,

in fact the system is up and he can login.

Rgds
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

If you have old HP terminals, you can use the enter (not return) key to read the terminal memory and send it again.
cat > file.txt
control-D to finish

In olden days, there were programs that would read all of memory. Now you may have to settle for using enter for each line.

Or just take a picture of the screens.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

With some HP-UX versions, the MP log can be read from the OS too:

http://www.hpuxtips.es/?q=node/276

cclogview -d /var/stm/logs/os/ccerrlog

If you have HP-UX 11.23 or newer, the slview command might be useful too:

http://docs.hp.com/en/diag/eit/st_event_viewer_cli.htm

With either of these, if you can connect to the system, you might be able to collect the logs yourself.

MK
MK
Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor

he plugs a pc in place of the terminal
use a terminal application to connect, then share his desktop with you through vnc or rooms.hp.com or netmeeting .....

or more easily he configures an ip address on the MP.:D
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Not having the MP connected to the network is a big problem. Not only can you not read the SL logs, you can't monitor a reboot or gain access to the system in case a boot disk needs replacing. You either send a trained tech to the site now to hook up the MP port and assign an IP address, or you'll have to send someone later when the machine isn't working and no one knows why.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
meekrob
Super Advisor

thanks for all of you