Operating System - HP-UX
1747984 Members
4686 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: copy a filesystem best solution (local host or remote host)

SOLVED
Go to solution
support_billa
Valued Contributor

about my question of  command "sync"  :

The 'syncer' daemon (which you invoke with 'sync') flushes modifed file buffers from memory to disk.  There is no harm in forcing this action and it is common to do 'sync;sync;sync' before starting a backup.  If you run 'bdf', by default, and automatic 'sync' occurs to give a better reflection of disk utilization.

Today i got info about FS Command /usr/sbin/fsadm -F vxfs  -e -d, the duration was very long sometimes , a colleague  tried to stop with "kill -9" , after that , file "lost+found/.fsadm"  were created !

today i copied a filesystem named /PATCHDEPOT  (wich includes with "swreg" registered HPUX SW-Depot's ) .
FS has 1511631 Files and  430832 Directories and after copy and fsadm steps, "umount" was after 2. attempt successfully , my meaing : "fsadm" or  "vxupgrade" isn't finished til 100 %.

maybe in the file cache because i didn't find a process with "lsof"

info:

filesystem_fsadm_action: /usr/sbin/fsadm -F vxfs  -b 314769408 /new/PATCHDEPOT
filesystem_fsadm_action: /usr/sbin/fsadm -F vxfs  -e -d /new/PATCHDEPOT

filesystem_version_upgrade: /sbin/vxupgrade -n 6 /new/PATCHDEPOT
filesystem_version_upgrade: /sbin/vxupgrade -n 7 /new/PATCHDEPOT

umount_local_fs: FS : "/new/PATCHDEPOT"
umount_local_fs: /usr/sbin/umount "/new/PATCHDEPOT"
attempt  /usr/sbin/umount "/new/PATCHDEPOT" 1 of 10  !

regards

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@support_billa wrote:

Today i got info about FS Command /usr/sbin/fsadm -F vxfs  -e -d, the duration was very long sometimes , a colleague  tried to stop with "kill -9" , after that , file "lost+found/.fsadm"  were created !

today i copied a filesystem named /PATCHDEPOT  (wich includes with "swreg" registered HPUX SW-Depot's ) .
FS has 1511631 Files and  430832 Directories and after copy and fsadm steps, "umount" was after 2. attempt successfully , my meaing : "fsadm" or  "vxupgrade" isn't finished til 100 %.

maybe in the file cache because i didn't find a process with "lsof"

As I recall, I told you in another thread that the 'lost+found/.fsadm' file is created the first time any 'fsadm' is run.  The file is used as a lock for the process.  Once created, it isn't removed.  Your 'kill -9' [while stupid] had nothing to do with that.

With regard to you second comment about unmounting, if you have any open files in the filesystem, or you are 'cd'ed into it then you won't be able to unmount.  It's not clear to me what you did or observed or why.

I would never kill an LVM or 'fsadm' process; certainly not with a 'kill -9'.  For any process, using a 'kill -9' means that the process can't catch and handle the signal.  Specifically this means that there is no way to cleanup temporary files and shared memory, or gracefully do anything!

Plan, slow down, and be patient.

Regards!

...JRF...

support_billa
Valued Contributor

@ It's not clear to me what you did or observed or why.

i make following steps :

filesystem_fsadm_action: /usr/sbin/fsadm -F vxfs  -b 314769408 /new/PATCHDEPOT
filesystem_fsadm_action: /usr/sbin/fsadm -F vxfs  -e -d /new/PATCHDEPOT

filesystem_version_upgrade: /sbin/vxupgrade -n 6 /new/PATCHDEPOT
filesystem_version_upgrade: /sbin/vxupgrade -n 7 /new/PATCHDEPOT

then i want to umount the filesystem !!!!
it is a temporary Mountpoint , which only exists for copy a filesystem. so nobody will use this filesystem !
i didn't find a process with "lsof".

so i make a workaround , and try 10 times to umount the filesystem :

umount_local_fs: FS : "/new/PATCHDEPOT"
umount_local_fs: /usr/sbin/umount "/new/PATCHDEPOT"
attempt  /usr/sbin/umount "/new/PATCHDEPOT" 1 of 10  !

this week i copied 40 filesystems (with millions of files) and this case occurs only at large filesystems.

@As I recall, I told you in another thread that the 'lost+found/.fsadm' file is created the first time any 'fsadm' is run.  The file is used @as a lock for the process.  Once created, it isn't removed.  Your 'kill -9' [while stupid] had nothing to do with that.

yes i know, for one filesystem ( 40 GB, 500.000 files ) it ran about 1 hour.

support_billa
Valued Contributor

hello,

a new topic occurs: after copy process the quotas of a filesystem were not ok.

i made : quotacheck_vxfs (VxFS file system quota consistency checker ) , ok ?

- how can i check, if a filesystem have quotas ?

- check if a file root_directory/quotas exists ?

- check if quotas are ok : quotacheck -F vxfs -V fs;echo $?

regards