New Discussion юеВ

cpu utilization

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hong Chen
Occasional Contributor

cpu utilization

hi everyone,

I come up with a question when I try to figure out how to calculate the cpu utilization on hp-ux.

should I use the objects in computerSystem group including
computerSystemUserCPU1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.1.1.13)computerSystemSysCPU(1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.1.1.14)

or use the host resource mib
hrSWRunPerfCPU(1.3.6.1.2.1.25.5.1.1.1)

can anyone give some advices ?

thanks
Hong
4 REPLIES 4
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: cpu utilization

Hmmm...the quickest and easiest way I check for CPU utilization is simply to run Glance.

I have glance running on the boxes I'm having watched and every morning I do a reset..at the end of the 'peak production' hours I jot down the averages for CPU/Mem/Disk/Swap utilization.
When I want to do an overall system performance I set up my parm file and start MeasureWare running to gather the stats...

I'm not sure about (CPU1.2.3.4.5.......) you mentioned, so I hope this addresses your question.

Rgrds,
Rita
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Hong

there are couple of ways to do it :

1. top gives you a nice detailed o/p for mutliple cpus , run it by cron and append the o/p to a data file .

2. Glance .

3. If you ahve perf view than you can set it up for cpu_util for the server as a paremter to collect historical data.

Manoj Srivastava
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Presumbly you're collecting mib values over time to compute your cpu utilization ? There are 4 of these that you need take into account .. (BTW I'm not sure about hrSWRunPerfCPU , haven't seen that before)
a) computerSystemUserCPU
==>AVERAGE time (in USER processes)
b) computerSystemSysCPU
==>AVERAGE time (in SYSTEM processes)
c) computerSystemNiceCPU
==>AVERAGE time (in NICE mode)
d) computerSystemIdleCPU
==>AVERAGE time (in IDLE mode)
It's better to collect 'em all and the total will give you want you wanted.
Hong Chen
Occasional Contributor

thank you, guys. That helps a lot .

As S.K. says, I'm using snmp to compute the cpu utilization, I also prefer hp-unix mib instead of host-resource mib.

Rita and Manoj tell me ways to get the number from the unix box so I can find out if my snmp calculation is right or not .

now I can leave the computer for a coffee ... :-)

regards
hong