10328 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: crash file not created in /var/adm/crash

Mohammad Sanaullah
Frequent Advisor

crash file not created in /var/adm/crash

Hi All Guru's
I have one DS20 Alpha server with Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1B (Rev. 2650, which crashed thrice in last one month and whenever we execute crash command in boot prompt >>>.
>>>crash
It executes but unable to find any crash related file in /var/adm/crash directory. All the time we have executed this command but unfortunately unable to get the file in crash.

My question is
1. Is there any fault from my end, if no then
2. Why this system is not generating any crash files.
3. Is there any alternate way to create crash file and how to do this activity.
4. How to resolve this issue so as my system will create crash file while it crashed by itself.

Thanks in advance and Points later.
Mohammad Sanaullah
Alive
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Check that you have sufficient disk space in /var/adm/crash. That may be preventing the crash files from being written...

Although are you sure the machine is crashing and not just resetting ? The latter would probably prevent any crash dumps from being written. Environmental issues are likely to cause this.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Mohammad Sanaullah
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your reply..
Yeah your mark is valid we came to know that system was resetting itself dur to faulty OCP panel, now OCP panel is to be replace soon.
By the way there is no space constrain in /var/adm/crash directory despite of that we are unable to create the crash manually at console prompt. Any Idea on that however my issue have been properly diagnosed.

Mohammad Sanaullah
Alive
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If the system is resetting, then the memory contents may well have been cleared, hence why there is nothing to output when you type crash...

Cheers,
Rob
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

Also, check the value of SAVECORE_DIR (do "rcmgr get SAVECORE_DIR"). If this is set, crash files will be saved in the directory it points to rather than in /var/adm/crash.

Also, when are you running >>> crash? This is only useful if you've halted the system from the front panel while it's running, e.g., to force a crash dump on a hung system. If the system crashed and rebooted on its own, either it saved a crash dump or it didn't; but if it already rebooted, there is no point in running crash at the SRM prompt. The reboot will have cleared the contents of memory.

Martin
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo