New Discussion

creating vpars & restoring from ignite tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prasu
Frequent Advisor

creating vpars & restoring from ignite tape

Hi,

I am restoring two vpars backup on a new hardware (rp8440).

First I have restored 1st vaprs ignite backup & booted this as npar.

I have created 2 vaprs & rebooted server.

Now I am trying boot this server in vpar move (given â vparload vpar1â from vpmon), server is coming up & booted successfully, but not able to type anything in console.

I am doing vpar creation on first time.

It would be very helpful if you can suggest anything for this â ¦

4 REPLIES 4
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: creating vpars & restoring from ignite tape

one thing always suggested that u have the Hardware Platform always upgraded to the latest Firmware release.

first of all i will like to suggest u to upgrade the FW of the rp8440 to the latest Release.

Regards
Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi

as per the following thread u should explicitly add to the first the harware console path that is necessary according the console communication routing for the VPARs that is monitored by the VPMON for the VCS to the actual VPAR that holds the System console path.

So one of the VPARs that is preferablt the first VPAR should have the Physical console Explicitly specified with it as all the console access for all other VPARs will in the background come to this only.

Please check the following:::

u can also check this link. which discusses the unresponsiveness of the VPAR consoles.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1230881763076+28353475&threadId=1070786
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

is it that the explicit assigning of the Console or the core IO to the first VPAR work in ur case? or was some other issue ?

u perhaps did not update ...

Regards

Sujit
Prasu
Frequent Advisor

THankyooo soo much sujit...

problem resolved .....

i was missing this ..

for sx2000-based servers, you must assign the console by hardware path to a virtual
partition by performing the following steps. For sx2000-based servers running vPars A.03.xx,
the console hardware path must be assigned to the first virtual partition created.
1. Find out the console hardware path:
# ioscan -kfnC tty
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
=============================================================
tty 0 0/8/1 asio0 CLAIMED INTERFACE Built-in RS232C
/dev/diag/mux0 /dev/mux0 /dev/tty0p0
The console hardware path on this system is 0/8/1.
2. Assign the console hardware path to the first virtual partition being created:
# vparcreate -p vPar1 -a io:0/8/1 ...