New Discussion юеВ

crontab problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lynn Hsu_2
Frequent Advisor

crontab problem

I have a server (L3000) on HP-UX 11.11 that
ignores crontab "hour" value. The story is that we modified crontab (crontab -e) hour
field to be 1-22 but cron continues to execute the job on 24 hour cycle. I wonder if
restarting cron daemon will fix this problem? Any side affects to restart cron as this is our primary production system?

By the way, HP has a new cron patch but I can't install it to the production server now.

Thanks in advance,

Lynn
6 REPLIES 6
DCE
Honored Contributor

Re: crontab problem

After you modified the crontab file, did you run crontab , where id is the name od the user crontab?

This forces a re-read of the new crontab file

IT_2007
Honored Contributor
Solution

restarting cron daemon won't affect anything unless you have any job scheduled to run that time.

/sbin/init.d/cron stop
/sbin/init.d/cron start

Do you have latest patches installed on this server? If not, try to assess and get latest patches.
spex
Honored Contributor

Hi Lynn,

Restart cron by:

# /sbin/init.d/cron stop
# /sbin/init.d/cron start

Nothing should be affected.

PCS
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

HI Lynn:

For what it's worth, the patch, PHCO_35331, does not require a reboot to install. You can see this in the patch notes, or simply by the designation "PHCO". "PHCO" are command patches and generally do not require a reboot.

Regards!

...JRF...
Lynn Hsu_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks everyone for your input. crontab -l
shows the crrect entry there. I can not install the patch because the server's environment is freezed for the production.
I'll restart the cron daemon to see ...

Thanks!

Lynn
Lynn Hsu_2
Frequent Advisor

thanks!