1753861 Members
7423 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dat72 tape drive not detected

James Sim
Advisor

dat72 tape drive not detected

I connected my external HP dat72 tape drive to an HP 11.11 server. I ran 'ioscan' and 'insf -e' and still nothing about a tape shows up. The stape drivers are installed and the scsi tape drive is properly terminated. Do you know what else could be the problem?

Any input would be appreciated.

James.
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: dat72 tape drive not detected

Is the external tape drive receiving power? (I've forgotten this once or twice...)

Does the SCSI type (SE/LVD) of the tape drive match the controller type?
Some older 11.11-compatible servers may have HVD SCSI interfaces, which work only with HVD devices. Newer SCSI devices should have sufficient protection to avoid being damaged by HVD voltages, but connecting HVD and non-HVD devices together is not recommended. Any HP product marked "DF" is HVD.

Is the SCSI ID of the tape drive overlapping with other devices on the bus, or the controller?
Usually the SCSI ID of the controller is 7, but it is not always so. If the server has been a part of a SCSI-based cluster environment, the SCSI ID of the controller may have been set to a non-default value.

Is the controller itself detected OK? Is the driver for the controller installed in the kernel?
Identify the controller's hardware path using your server's documentation (see docs.hp.com). Check the status of that hardware path and all its children in the ioscan listing.

Have you verified that the cable is OK?

Does the tape drive work with any other server?

Does the controller work with any other device?

MK
MK
James Sim
Advisor

Re: dat72 tape drive not detected

Thanks for the tips. I ended up connecting the tape drive to an HP Proliant server running Linux. It detected the drive right away. It may have been a hardware compatibility issue. I read somewhere that the tape drive is only supported by HP Proliant and Alpha servers.

James.