New Discussion юеВ

defunct process

SOLVED
Go to solution
ossupport55
Frequent Advisor

defunct process

folks,

I have a defuct process where the PPID is 1. Anyway to get rid of it. OS is RHEL 4.6

cheers
7 REPLIES 7
Goran┬аKoruga
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: defunct process

Hello.

Defunct as in in state Z? Just ignore it - the process has exited but its parent process failed to run wait() or its variant for the PID. It's not doing anything anyway.

init will periodically do that and it may go away, but not always AFAIK.

Regards,
Goran
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

if it stays in your process list and you must get rid of it, there is nothing that can be done except reboot.
ossupport55
Frequent Advisor

The process shows as Zl what does that mean.
Prashanth Waugh
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I think Z is showing zombie process. Zombies can be identified in the output from the Unix ps command by the presence of a ├в Z├в in the ├в STAT├в column

Regards,
prashant
For success, attitude is equally as important as ability
loco_vikide
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Z status stands for Defunct ("zombie") process, terminated but not reaped by its parent.

Unlike Unix, Linux periodically cleans up defunct processes without system reboot. Your defunct process will be eventually removed by OS.

Cheers
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I have a defunct process where the PPID is 1.

On HP-UX, this can't happen, zombies are reaped by init. I would think Linux would work the same. Are you sure this isn't a wedged process? (Hmm, you mentioned Z below.)

>loco_vikide: Your defunct process will be eventually removed by OS.

Hmm, I would have thought init would be working a little faster so you wouldn't see it.
ossupport55
Frequent Advisor

I managed to start another process and get the backup done. Letting the zombies take their time.

Thanks folks