108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: detecting module automatically

SOLVED
Go to solution
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

detecting module automatically

All, I need help adding 2 modules so that during a reboot the modules will be added in automatically with doing:
modprobe snd-pcm-oss and
modprobe snd-card-emu10k1. Will adding this to /etc/modules.conf help and if so, what is the format of adding in this conf file. Thanks.
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
4 REPLIES 4
Erich Huebner_1
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
To load a kernel module on startup add the command
/sbin/insmod
somewhere at the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.
James Purtell
Occasional Contributor
Solution

To have any new modules loaded automatically you'll need to make a new initrd image.
Use the command mkinitrd. This will create a new initial ramdisk image for your system.
Here are the steps I would take.
1) Make a boot disk (mkbootdisk)
2) Copy your current image to a .old file so you can go back if need be. ( cp /boot/initrd-2.4.2-2.img /boot/initrd-2.4.2-2.img.old)
3) Remove your initrd image file (rm /boot/initrd-2.4.2-2.img)
4) Make a new image.(mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.2-2.img 2.4.2-2smp (kernel version - uname -a)

This should do it.
PS: Check out your /etc/lilo.conf file to make sense of all this.

Regards
Jim
I sense much NT in you. - NT leads to Bluescreen. - Bluescreen leads to downtime. - Downtime leads to suffering. - NT is the path to the darkside. - Powerful Unix is.
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

James, I've tried it and it did not work. How does initrd knows which module to load during boot up? Thanks.
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
Malcolm Cowe

Red Hat Linux provides a command line tool, "/sbin/sndconfig", which ought to configure your system files appropriately. If this does not work for you (as is normal for SoundBlaster Live cards), then it is necessary to edit the kernel modules parameter file, which will be either of "/etc/modules.conf" (newer systems), or "/etc/conf.modules" (older systems).

For the emu10k1 module, try adding the following entry into the file, on a line by itself:

alias sound emu10k1

It may also be necessary to add the following (but try your system without them first):

alias sound-service-0-0 sound
alias sound-slot-0 sound

Assuming you are using a SoundBlaster Live card of one sort or another, look at this page for details:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1