108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: determine lun size

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

determine lun size

I have been out of HPUX admin for a while and I know I should know this. Please help me remember.

I have just had the SAN team add some Hitachi array disk luns to a system. I can see them with ioscan -fnCdisk. Now what I would like to know is the disk size of those LUNs but don't remember how. We are using lvm.

disk 106 4/0/10/1/0.14.0.109.0.2.4 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HITACHI DF600F
/dev/dsk/c12t2d4 /dev/rdsk/c12t2d4
disk 107 4/0/10/1/0.14.0.109.0.2.5 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HITACHI DF600F
/dev/dsk/c12t2d5 /dev/rdsk/c12t2d5

Thank you in advance.
If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.
12 REPLIES 12
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Use diskinfo.

# diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c12t2d4
# diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c12t2d5

Note that you have to use the '/dev/rdsk' device file with the diskinfo command.
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

Patrick that is what I was looking for. Now it just occured to me that I am not sure of the alternate path to the same LUN. I used to use inq -sortysymm but that is with EMC. These are Hitachi do they have a similar utility?
TTr
Honored Contributor

The early XP models had their uitilities installed under /opt/HORCM. The utility was called "inquiry" or "inquiryXXX" where XXX was the XP model number such as inquiry256 for XP256.
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

Thank you TTr but I don't seem to have that set of utilities.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

another quick option is to match up the hardware addresses of the devices..

there should be some hitachi utility for hpux to ID the wwn of the lun. EVAs provide evainfo.

John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

Tim I only gave you 9 because you were close but got me thinking. I was able to use lunstat -ts and that gave me the serial numbers along with a lot of other info. From that I was able to pair up disks but still not by /dev/dsk/ctd number which I need to add them to a vg.
TTr
Honored Contributor

I just remembered that the recent XP models use the CommandViewXP utilities. I never had CommandViewXP but I used commandviewVA and the array utilities for the VAs were armdiscover and armdsm. They might be the same in C-viewXP.

Look under opt for a "commandview" subdirectory or look at "swlist" listing.
TTr
Honored Contributor

chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

TTr mentioned /opt/HORCM which is part of raidmanager, but if you dont use businesscopy or continuous access, or the hitachi equivalents of the xp namings, it will probably not installed on the system.

commandview for XP does exist, but it runs on a windows system and is more alike the sanappliance commandview that runs on a EVA, and is used to administer a XP, then anything remotely like commandviewVA. Also it will for the hitachi be named differently.

xpinfo utility would probably work on a hitachi system that is equal to a xp, however normally hp support would not give this utility to view the luns of a competitor storage array , and anyway a hitachi DF600F is a lun of one of hitachi's midrange storage, AMS or something like that, so the utility would not work anyway..

The long way, is offcourse to check on the hitachi diskarray what luns are defined to what histachi frontendports. And then check how these hitachi frontendports are zoned in with which host fc hba ports and then to see how these luns are then translated into device files..

But there is a shorter way, through vxvm, you could configure vxvm, with vxinstall, and normally it should give the different paths for each of device files, or if you dont want to configure vxvm, you can also use..

/etc/vx/diag.d/vxdmpinq, which will give for each /dev/rdsk device file the serial# of the lun.
f.e.

# /etc/vx/diag.d/vxdmpinq /dev/rdsk/c14t11d5

Inquiry for /dev/rdsk/c14t11d5, evpd 0x0, page code 0x0
Vendor id : HP
Product id : OPEN-V
Revision Number : 5001
Serial Number : 50 127120571

#/etc/vx/diag.d/vxdmpinq /dev/rdsk/c8t11d5

Inquiry for /dev/rdsk/c8t11d5, evpd 0x0, page code 0x0
Vendor id : HP
Product id : OPEN-V
Revision Number : 5001
Serial Number : 50 127120571

>> CONCLUSION -- same serial#, they are alternate links..

Greetz,
Chris