1753922 Members
7789 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /dev/deviceFileSystem is 100% full warnings

Patrick Briggs
Advisor

/dev/deviceFileSystem is 100% full warnings

I'm receiving these warnings when logging into the server from /etc/motd. It's running HP-UX 11.31 on Itanium RP6600. I searched the forums, but I couldn't find someone else who had asked this question before.

SUBJECT: bdf_growth: Filesystem /dev/deviceFileSystem is 100% full - threshold 95%

What is this filesystem? Should it be expanded? If not, is there a way to turn these warnings off for this filesystem?
12 REPLIES 12
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What does 'bdf' show? Are there any full file systems?

Patrick Briggs
Advisor

Yes, /dev/deviceFileSystem is the only one that is full right now.

output of bdf:

DevFS 11 11 0 100% /dev/deviceFileSystem
TTr
Honored Contributor

http://docs.hp.com/en/7407/DevFSUsersGuide.pdf

Do you have a memory stick plugged in to the server?

> is there a way to turn these warnings off for this filesystem?

You have to find out where they are coming from. I don't know if this is from a standard monitoring system such as SIMS or if there is a custom homemade script that is running via cron. Check crontab to see if you find a script running.

The DVD on rx6600s is attached via USB so gets shows up with that device file on some versions of HP-UX... as read only devices, thes naturally show up as 100% full filesystems in a bdf output.

take the DVD out of the DVD drive and I think you will find the messages will go away

Its not a standard message though, so you obviously have some custom script somewhere that is poulating /etc/motd with this info - look at the timestamp on the /etc/motd file then go hunt through cron entries to track down the offender...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
SandiC
Advisor

FYI: I had the same issue with /dev/deviceFileSYstem showing 100% full on our hp rp4440. I had no dvd in the drive, but when I issued the cmd "devfs stop" all of the errors including the 100% in bdf went away.

Hth,

SandiC
Patrick Briggs
Advisor

I removed the DVD out of the drive, but the filesystem is still there at 100%. I also discovered a vendor put a cron job that puts a warning in /etc/motd if a filesystem is at 100% full. I took this out of cron for now. I'll check on the devfs stop command. Would this cause any issues later if I want to read a DVD? Do I need to run "start"?
gnana prakasam
Advisor

I am also facing the same issue. can any one suggest how to find the cause for this problem?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I am also facing the same issue. Can any one suggest how to find the cause for this problem?

What does bdf show for the full filesystem?

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

>I am also facing the same issue. can any one suggest how to find the cause for this problem?

And - have you read what was mentioned in this thread?
Have you found no suggestions?
What have you done till now?

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***