System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

/dev/deviceFileSystem is 100% full warnings

/dev/deviceFileSystem is 100% full warnings

I'm receiving these warnings when logging into the server from /etc/motd. It's running HP-UX 11.31 on Itanium RP6600. I searched the forums, but I couldn't find someone else who had asked this question before.

SUBJECT: bdf_growth: Filesystem /dev/deviceFileSystem is 100% full - threshold 95%

What is this filesystem? Should it be expanded? If not, is there a way to turn these warnings off for this filesystem?
12 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: /dev/deviceFileSystem is 100% full warnings

What does 'bdf' show? Are there any full file systems?

Yes, /dev/deviceFileSystem is the only one that is full right now.

output of bdf:

DevFS 11 11 0 100% /dev/deviceFileSystem
TTr
Honored Contributor

http://docs.hp.com/en/7407/DevFSUsersGuide.pdf

Do you have a memory stick plugged in to the server?

> is there a way to turn these warnings off for this filesystem?

You have to find out where they are coming from. I don't know if this is from a standard monitoring system such as SIMS or if there is a custom homemade script that is running via cron. Check crontab to see if you find a script running.
Duncan Edmonstone
Honored Contributor

The DVD on rx6600s is attached via USB so gets shows up with that device file on some versions of HP-UX... as read only devices, thes naturally show up as 100% full filesystems in a bdf output.

take the DVD out of the DVD drive and I think you will find the messages will go away

Its not a standard message though, so you obviously have some custom script somewhere that is poulating /etc/motd with this info - look at the timestamp on the /etc/motd file then go hunt through cron entries to track down the offender...

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
SandiC
Advisor

FYI: I had the same issue with /dev/deviceFileSYstem showing 100% full on our hp rp4440. I had no dvd in the drive, but when I issued the cmd "devfs stop" all of the errors including the 100% in bdf went away.

Hth,

SandiC

I removed the DVD out of the drive, but the filesystem is still there at 100%. I also discovered a vendor put a cron job that puts a warning in /etc/motd if a filesystem is at 100% full. I took this out of cron for now. I'll check on the devfs stop command. Would this cause any issues later if I want to read a DVD? Do I need to run "start"?

I am also facing the same issue. can any one suggest how to find the cause for this problem?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I am also facing the same issue. Can any one suggest how to find the cause for this problem?

What does bdf show for the full filesystem?

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

>I am also facing the same issue. can any one suggest how to find the cause for this problem?

And - have you read what was mentioned in this thread?
Have you found no suggestions?
What have you done till now?

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

/dev/deviceFileSystem is not a real filesystem. It is a virtual filesystem, created by the kernel to provide support for USB devices (storage, keyboard and mouse). The kernel will dynamically resize it so that it will always be just as big as required for the USB device nodes, so bdf will show it as always being very small and 100% full. This is normal and harmless.

You should configure your monitoring system to ignore /dev/deviceFileSystem on all HP-UX 11.31 systems.

MK
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

If you update the USB-00 to USB-02 according to Update to USB Driver Support on HPUX 11iv3 April 22nd, 2010 then you can get rid of the /dev/deviceFileSystem appearing in bdf.

kgpenator
Advisor

Hi Michael,

I am expecting this one.  thank you for your reply