108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

differences between 11.11 and 11iv2

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Henrikson
Regular Advisor

differences between 11.11 and 11iv2

Can someone clue me in as to the crucial differences between these two releases?
I'm looking to upgrade from 11.0 and would like to know if its worth the extra effort required to go to 11iv2 or if simply upgrading to 11.11 will be all I really need to do.
Many thanks!!!
John Henrikson
U of Missouri-Columbia
6 REPLIES 6
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: differences between 11.11 and 11iv2

The major difference is that v2 supports both PA-RISC and Itanium. I believe there are some additional dynamically tunable kernel paramaters, new version of NFS possibly. The big one, though, is the support for both hardware platforms.

Pete

Pete
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hello,

11iV2 contains lots of enhancements and new features and it can be installed on PA servers too. (Selective PA models)

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-2701/index.html

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

This thread should provide you some information,

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=943763

-Arun
John Henrikson
Regular Advisor

Arun,
that thread talks about the advantages of moving from 11.0 to 11.11 .. my understanding (please correct me if I'm mistaken) is that I could still move to 11.11 and NOT move to 11iV2.. is this not correct?
I'm trying to understand why or if I have to move to 11iV2.
thanks!!!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

John,

All my boxes are still on 11i. Originally I was waiting to be sure v2 was stable, but I don't think that's an excuse anymore. For me, I just don't see any need to go to v2. It doesn't offer anything I really need and the end of support date is the same as 11i.

The key is, if you need some feature that v2 offers, go for it, otherwise I see no reason not to stick with 11i.

Pete

Pete
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You asked "that thread talks about the advantages of moving from 11.0 to 11.11 .. my understanding (please correct me if I'm mistaken) is that I could still move to 11.11 and NOT move to 11iV2.. is this not correct?
I'm trying to understand why or if I have to move to 11iV2"

Its always nice to move latest version of OS, if you can afford it. And it contains new features and enhancements as well.

Take a look at this link for supported servers for installing 11iV2

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-2701/ch02s03.html

-Arun