1752754 Members
4644 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: disaster recovery need

gany59
Regular Advisor

disaster recovery need

what is meant by disaster recovery.. is that the stuf like restoring missing or corrupted critical files from ignite to server.

If so how can we plan the DR activity.. Please let me know that. Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
g3jza
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
DR means in many situations how to recover from disasters like natural disasters / regional power-outages / terrorism / etc. , which are eliminated by having different site (backup datacenter) far away from the primary site.

How can you plan the recover itself? You can only be sure that the recovery will work, when you try it yourself. You can not count on any theories / that it 'should' work, unless it has been proven to work.

You can find many resources under SG section:

http://docs.hp.com/en/ha.html

Depends on how extent is your focus on DR:
HP offers solutions for DR based on clusters:
Metrocluster / Continental Cluster / Extended-distance cluster
gany59
Regular Advisor

So having the cluster environment is also a DR right ?. Having the DR away from the DC is i know. My concern is what is DR activity.. generally.... i heard that word so many times around infrastructure management. Please clarify me on that. Thanks!
g3jza
Esteemed Contributor

"Disaster recovery is the process, policies and procedures related to preparing for recovery or continuation of technology infrastructure critical to an organization after a natural or human-induced disaster. Disaster recovery is a subset of business continuity. While business continuity involves planning for keeping all aspects of a business functioning in the midst of disruptive events, disaster recovery focuses on the IT or technology systems that support business functions." - source: www.wikipedia.org :)
gany59
Regular Advisor

Thanks a lot.

I added the line performing disaster recovery on my resume. so i need to know .. some thing about that.. can u give any example pls..
g3jza
Esteemed Contributor

DR is a complex set of routines. For example, consider that the whole primary datacenter is down. In order to ensure continuity of business, what needs to be done on the DR site? From activies as: Finding out that the primary DC is really down and it's not a false alarm, ensuring that the data replication was successfull from the primary to the secondary site, making changes in DNS, testing that the application will fail over to the DR site, etc....so it's not just a task but rather a process.
gany59
Regular Advisor

fine.. thanks!