108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: downgrading of kernel

philipho827
Occasional Advisor

downgrading of kernel

Hello,
i am facing a problem here.
recently i installed RedHat Enterprise 4.6 64bit OS with kernel version 2.6.9-67. I wanted to upgrade the kernel to the latest version in order to install some qlogic drivers.

However i upgraded the kernel using the wrong procedure by doing "rpm -U". Now i am noticing some things that are not right such as only 1 processor showing in /proc/cpuinfo while there are supposed to be 2 x quadcore.

My question is what is the proper procedure to downgrade back to my old kernel 2.6.9-67? Thanks for the help.
6 REPLIES 6
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

I always advice my junior's, not to upgrade kernel. just install the kernel and from grub.conf point the exact kernel you want to boot.

upgrading kernel sometimes caused severe hassle to your existing environment or applications.

So, my suggestions is just install the kernel and point it from your grub.conf file.
a warrior never quits
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

i have seen that you yet not assign any points in your earlier threads.

the point is not a reward, just to respect the person who answered u and make your problem resolved. and also sometimes it will help others to find the solution.
a warrior never quits
philipho827
Occasional Advisor

sry, i didn't know there is a point system here.

i managed to install the older kernel and used /etc/grub.conf to point and boot from it. It boots ok but during the boot process gave some warning about unable to load modules and using compatible ones.

I booted to the older kernel version but still not able to see the processors that should be showing in /proc/cpuinfo.
Srimalik
Valued Contributor

Not sure if SMP kernel will make a difference here.

Did you install a SMP kernel?
abandon all hope, ye who enter here..
philipho827
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Yes i installed a SMP kernel. Somehow somewhere during the upgrade/downgrade of the kernel some procedures were missed.

I followed the following guide and upgraded my kernel to the latest version. everything is fine now :)

http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/kernel-upgrade/index.html
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

to submit points, check this link

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33
a warrior never quits