108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: dtdbcache_localhost

Andy Imm
Frequent Advisor

dtdbcache_localhost

Hello Guru's,

Need your help on this.

When logging into CDE, we get a file called dtdbcache_localhost:nn in the /tmp directory.

This creates an issue if other people that are trying to use CDE to get in.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Ok just checked a few systems : this appears normal behaviour in that file is owned by user logging in and creates a file based on the physical host used to connect to the CDE login server. ie ip address of Xserver be it unix or that of a PC (using reflectionsX etc).

So the question is why are you having problems :

whats the O/s , do the user share the same home directory or use nis or nfs mounts at all ?

what errors are being seen : root user impacted ?

Networking : is this a standalone server and "nn" means ?

One last question : do your users logout in a clean manner ?
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

try checking the perms on /tmp too
Andy Imm
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Alex,

I suppose I left some blank input.

Using Reflection X/ Hummingbird.

The OS is HP1131. Nothing special as far as the HOME directory is concerned (no NIS,etc...)

When I said :nn, I meant 10, 11, 12, etc...

No errors logging in for me, but if other users try to login, they will try to use one of the existing dtdbcache_localhost:10, dtdbcache_localhost:11, etc... files set with my ownership.

I can't speak for all of my users logging out in a clean manner. Usually they will click the exit button in their CDE session.
Andy Imm
Frequent Advisor

Just to mention, that if I remove or chown the ownership on the dtdbcache_localhost then the other user can logon.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

honest answer : I don't know.

I'd suggest this may have something to do with your env.

We know how to resolve but not why it occurs.

I'd think we'd of heard if this was a common error wrt 11.31 by now ... can't say it rings any bells.

So what do we have left ...

is this all users ? you suggest you don't have the problem .... anything different in $HOME/.profile or .dtprofile ?

dr_dt may yield some clues ... longshot.

anything seen under users .dt/errorlog etc files under $HOME.

How longs has this occured ?

dtdbcache_localhost .... is that a hostname or actually localhost ? ll dtbdcache* ?

I ask as my remote connections show as an ip or hostname.... do your remote pc's resolve via nslookup on the unix server .... try adding to /etc/hosts maybe ....

Confirm how impacted users logout, are we sure the connection closed cleanly : RX and Exceed having logging / client trace options...

over to you

Andy Imm
Frequent Advisor

is this all users ? you suggest you don't have the problem .... anything different in $HOME/.profile or .dtprofile ?

---->>> This is all users, as the it will created and leave the dtdbcache_local* file after the person logs in, then logs out.

dr_dt may yield some clues ... longshot.

---->>> Not too sure what to do with this.

anything seen under users .dt/errorlog etc files under $HOME.

---->>> In some respects it is working, so there aren't any errors.

How longs has this occured ?

---->>> This has been an issue as long as I have been on the systems/ 6 months to a year.

dtdbcache_localhost .... is that a hostname or actually localhost ? ll dtbdcache* ?

---->>> localhost is not the actual hostname.

I ask as my remote connections show as an ip or hostname.... do your remote pc's resolve via nslookup on the unix server .... try adding to /etc/hosts maybe ....

---->>> I added this to the /etc/hosts, but still get the same result. If I could get the IP/ or hostname of the system that is connecting, then I really would be good, but it always comes up as localhost (for everyone).

Confirm how impacted users logout, are we sure the connection closed cleanly : RX and Exceed having logging / client trace options...

---->>> Stiall an issue with users (myself in particular) logging off/ closing cleanly. It still leaves the dtdbcache_localhost file.

If I could make it IP/ hostname specific, then I would be ok. It is an issue because other users are trying to connect using the same dtdbcache_localhost* file.

Thanks for your input.
Andy Imm
Frequent Advisor

We came up with a resolution. My co-workers collaborated and came up with the following fix to put in the .profile.

#Export the X display variable
MY_PTY=`tty|cut -c6-12`
ME=`who am i|cut -c1-8`
X=`who -u | grep $ME | grep $MY_PTY | awk '{print $8}'`

if [ -n "$X" ]; then
DISPLAY=`echo $X | cut -f2 -d"(" | cut -f1 -d")"`:0.0
export DISPLAY
fi