dump device in Linux

how to configure dump device in Linux?
7 REPLIES 7
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: dump device in Linux

Check this link:

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-6039
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

can the device a LVM device as a dump place?
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

yes.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

will lvm2 module be ready when OS tries to dump core to the lvm volume at panic situation?
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

I'll reply back with an example from our setup at work tomorrow, as it wasn't me who set it up.

anyway, you're having two working kernels in the ram and the one used for doing the dump has a working lvm driver just as the normal one has.

even if it's still a PC without a dedicated management processor, this is supposed quite well as the feature was first used in the carrier grade linux project.

just read the link from the first reply again :)
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
loco_vikide
Frequent Advisor

Not sure on which Linux dump utilities you are using. netdump, diskdump or kdump. The set up for dump device differs slightly betwwen these three tools. Regardless, you could find instructions for each tool under local directory /usr/share/doc/[dumptoolrpmname]/ after you install the dump tool on local server.

kdump works very well and more reliable then the other two tools. In addition, it only requires a dedicated mount point /var/crash. LVM mount point could be used. No need to set up a dedicated dump device.

Cheers,
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

thanks for your response. The answer is yes, that one can use LVM volume for the dump area.