1748180 Members
4384 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: dump or ASCII/text driver for printer - plz help asap

Maaz
Valued Contributor

dump or ASCII/text driver for printer - plz help asap

I have to configure a "Globalis Safir Sp-40 Transactional Printer" on a SUSE Linux box.
Globalis Support team has told me that .... "On any flavor of UNIX you can use the dump or ASCII/text driver with any of our products, the SP40 inclusive"
To configure the printer, I connect the printer with my machine using a parallel cable, then I start the Printer Wizard, as
# yast printer
But i didnt found "dump or ASCII/text driver" option.

@ yast printer > Printer Type
1, Directly Connected Printers 2, Network Printers [here I select option 1] >
3, then select Parallel Printer > next > next > now here comes a screen to select the Manufacturer and Model page (globalis is not listed/available in the list) >
i,e I didnt found the "dump or ASCII/text driver" option.

what should I do ? where is the option to configure ASCII/text driver or dump driver ?

Regards
Maaz
15 REPLIES 15
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Maaz,

I'm not sure on Suse, but on RedHat you'd have an option for a Raw Print Queue. That is probably what you need...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Maaz
Valued Contributor

did you mean Raw Print Queu is equivalent to ASCII/text driver ... isn't ?

since I also have to configure the same device on redhat 9... i will must check this Raw Print Queu option.

Regards
Maaz
Maaz
Valued Contributor

ok, on rhl9 box i tried to config this printer,
# redhat-config-printer > new > Forward > > here i select the printer Quee type as Localy Connected > then select Text Only Printer > Finish

yet every thing seem fine.

but when I send any thing to printer... the printer starts printing blah blah... not the Garbage, but I think it starts printing.. its configurations, it prints some thing like...

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%RBINumCopies: 1
%%Pages: (atend)
%%Creator: Gnome Print version 2.2.1.1

printer only prints such type text.. but not the pages we send to print.

plz help
Regards
Maaz
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

%!PS-Adobe-3.0

This indicates it's PostScript v3 data.

%%Creator: Gnome Print version 2.2.1.1

This PostScript data is generated by Gnome Print, which is probably the GUI application/applet you're using to print.

Many GUI tools in unix-like systems just assume that any printer will understand PostScript, or the print queue is configured to convert any PostScript print jobs to the printer's native format (Ghostscript is often used for this purpose). With a text-only printer, you may find many operations of the GUI tools will produce only PostScript garbage.

If you need to print only text, try creating a text file and then using a "lp" or "lpr" command to print it.

According to
http://www.globalis.com/Catalogues/Catalogue_Safir.pdf

the Globalis Safir SP-40 can emulate (=work like) Epson LQ 1170 or LQ 2250, or various IBM Proprinter models. You may need to configure the printer to choose an emulation mode: the printer's documentation should have the instructions for that.

Go to
http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
and search for each of the printer types the Safir can emulate.

Find the emulation that allows you to use the features you need, and is supported by your Linux versions.

Then configure the printer to that emulation mode. Now you can configure the Linux boxes as if the printer actually was the type it is set to emulate (i.e. if you select Epson LQ-1170 emulation, you tell Linux boxes "Epson LQ-1170" as the printer type).

With this approach, you should be able to use almost all of the features of the printer.

MK
MK
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Thanks Dear Matti Kurkela for help.

>If you need to print only text, try creating a text file and then using a "lp" or "lpr" > command to print it.

using the Text driver... I did the following
# echo 1234 > data.txt
# lpr data.txt
Now printer prints again prints blah blah..
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%RBINumCopies: 1
%%Pages: (atend)
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
%%Creator: texttops/CUPS v1.1.17
%%CreationDate: Mon 25 Jun 2007 09:20:24 AM PKST
%%Title: data.txt
%%For: root
%%BeginResource: font Courier-Bold
%%!PS-AdobeFont-1.0 Courier-Bold 1.05
%%CrearionDate: Wed Dec 22 1999
whats that now, why blah blah even now ? this time i didnt use any gui app(like previously i was using "gedit")

plz help
Regards
Maaz
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> # lpr data.txt

So which print queue do you think that "lpr"
is using here? When you configured your new
"Text Only Printer", did you give it a name?
"lpr -P printer_name" would specify a
particular printer (print queue).

What does "lpstat -s" say?
Maaz
Valued Contributor

>The Globalis Safir SP-40 can emulate (=work like) Epson LQ 1170 or LQ 2250, > or various IBM Proprinter models

under redhat 9, When I set the emulation EPSON LQ 1170, LQ 2250, or LQ 570, or LQ570+ or set the IBM emulations... and then send printing to the printer .. printer LED starts blinking, .. printer even accept the paper... but doesnt print a single word.. i.e page comes out blank.

under redhat 9, when I set the Text driver, i have already posted that, printer only prints its configurations(blah blah)... but not the text.. i send to print.

under suse 10, I didnt find any Text driver.
under suse 10, when I set EPSOn emulation, the printer prints the page, but the printing is not satisfactory.. i mean that print quality is not good, i.e its hard to understand the the print.

Dear Steven Schweda thanks for help
Since I have only a single printer i.e SP40, and SP40 is also the default printer.. lpr its not necessary to specify the "printer"..
# lpr filename.... is enough
i even did the following... same results
# lpr -P saf40 data.txt

# lpstat -s
system default destination: saf40
device for saf40: parallel:/dev/lp0
device for printer: ipp://rhl9:631/printers/printer

Thanks
Maaz
Maaz
Valued Contributor

under redhat, when i set the EPSON, or IBM emulation, as I already post that, printer LED starts blinking(i.e something to print... good/ok sign) .. printer takes the page, but doesnt do(print) anything..
# lpr data.txt && lpstat -s && lpq
system default destination: saf40
device for saf40: parallel:/dev/lp0
saf40 is ready and printing
Rank Owner Job File(s) Total Size
active root 7 data.txt 1024 bytes

Maaz
Valued Contributor

remove the printer... then again configure the printer... select the Text driver.
system default destination: sp40
device for sp40: parallel:/dev/lp0
sp40 is ready and printing
active root 1 data.txt 1024 bytes

then
# lpq
sp40 is ready
no entries

now this time printer accept the page to print... but doesnt do(print) anything... but simply a blank page.

Globalis Safir SP40, can work as Epson 1170/2250.. so instead of Text driver, I select Epson as Manufacturer, LQ 1170 as a driver... then send the printing
system default destination: sp40
device for sp40: parallel:/dev/lp0
sp40 is ready and printing
active root 2 data.txt 1024 bytes

then
# lpq
sp40 is ready
no entries

Now either I configure the printer as Text or as Epson ... the printer doesn't prints..i.e it just prints the blank page.

Regards