1748148 Members
3763 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dupatch problem

Tom Kempster
Occasional Advisor

dupatch problem

I have been asked to look into a problem whereby patches will not load under dupatch. The problem is on a production system which makes access difficult. The system has been patched in the past and this time the person loading gave up because of messages saying the patches would not install (as yet I have had no technical information regarding the messages). I can verify the following: The directory /usr/.smdb. exists and appears to list an inventory. Yet when I try dupatch -track -type patch the result is "There are no patches installed on your system". How can I show the installed patches and proceed?
6 REPLIES 6
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: dupatch problem

Can you post the "/var/adm/patch/log/session.log" log file?
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Whatever the current session.log.* are saying, you will almost certainly have to run the "Baseline Analysis/Adjustment" ,item #5, from the dupatch menu.

With the NEW patchkit untarred in /var/tmp/patch_kit run /var/tmp/patch_kit/dupatch (NOT the one currently in /usr/sbin/) , and select 5 .

Then verify (or post) the /var/adm/patch/log/baseline.log

_JB_
Tom Kempster
Occasional Advisor

Further investigation reveals that there were problems using the dupatch provided with the kit, finally the system resident dupatch was used and the attached file was the result
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

What is the version of your Tru64 ? See "sizer -v"
What is the filename of the tar-kit that was downloaded ?

__ Johan.

_JB_
Tom Kempster
Occasional Advisor

The system is running TRU64 5.1A
I now understand that /user/.smdb. was somehow missing and HP support suggested re-installing it from the V5.1A installation CD as a possible way of recovering, I suspect this missing file is the real problem. Looking at past backups show the file to have been missing for some time and we can not recover it.
The tar file used was:
T64V51AB03AS0003-20020827.tar
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

/usr/.smdb. is critical to being able to install or remove any S/W or patches with Tru64. I suspect what HP support meant when suggesting to go to the installation CD is that you're stuck re-installing the OS from scratch - not as a method of recovering that one directory.