New Discussion юеВ

Re: emulex driver for linux on DL580

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kyuyong-Kwon
Advisor

emulex driver for linux on DL580

I have an hp DL580 with a emulex LP952.
So, I installed fedora core12 for the server.
how can i do to install the driver of the fc card?

I found out emulex driver on Emulex site.
the driver file name is "lpfc_2.6_driver_kit-8.2.0.71-1".
and i installed the driver file as below
# ./lpfc-install
Then error has been occurred.
Emulex LPFC Driver Installer Version 7292
Determining distribution type and kernel version ...
Checking for old Emulex driver ...
Module 'lpfc' successfully unloaded.
Looking for kernel development package ...
Looking for compilers ...
Searching for LPFC Driver source RPM from /kykwon/lpfc_2.6_driver_kit-8.2.0.71-1/. ...
Installing package ...
A├Ш┬║n A├Я... ########################################### [100%]
1:lpfcdriver_2.6 ########################################### [100%]
Building LPFC driver ........
- Error 1 while building/installing driver.
- Log is contained in /usr/src/lpfc/errlog
┬░├ж┬░i: %post(lpfcdriver_2.6-8.2.0.71-1.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 5
Loading LPFC Driver .FATAL: Module lpfc not found.

Error loading LPFC Driver
Please refer to the following file(s) for more information
about this driver load failure:
/var/log/messages
Please contact Emulex Technical Support
Restoring old Emulex drivers...

please somebody help me..
9 REPLIES 9
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> - Error 1 while building/installing driver.
> - Log is contained in /usr/src/lpfc/errlog

I think /usr/src/lpfc/errlog would be the most useful source of information at this point. If you cannot figure it out, please attach it to this thread.

The installation script attempted to compile the driver but failed for some reason. It would seem that /usr/src/lpfc/errlog is the file that contains the actual compilation errors. It might be you're simply missing some RPM packages that are required for compiling the driver.

Note that the installation script also says:

> Checking for old Emulex driver ...
> Module 'lpfc' successfully unloaded.
> Restoring old Emulex drivers...

So there is a version of the Emulex "lpfc" driver already included in the Fedora core12 standard kernel. Does it not work with your card, or are you trying to install the driver kit for some other reason?

MK
MK
Kyuyong-Kwon
Advisor

thank you for your reply

>"lpfc" driver already included in the Fedora core12 standard kernel.

Realy?
Actually, I wanna add disk on the server.
Disks were MSA1000 storage.
I aready assigned 500GB on MSA1000 for the server.
But, the server could not found it out.
So, i tried download and installation emulex driver.

Ok, i've got the driver file.
the driver file has included two files.
#ls -al
lpfc-install
lpfcdriver_2.6-8.2.0.71-1.noarch.rpm

do i to run the *.rpm file?
or, what do i to do?

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Two thoughts..

1) there is probably already an emulex driver loaded.

lsmod|grep lpfc

if it is then you are probably good to go.

after presenting the luns did you reboot or rescan the bus ?

or

download the hbanyware utility, or at least review the docs to tell you how to rescan without reboot.

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

as another note... is this an HP model emulex hba ? if so I would get the drivers and utils from HPs website if you really think you really need them..

sometimes HP makes subtle changes and the hp revision driver might be better than the real emulex driver.

go to business support website and type in the hp model number of the hba. loads of stuff there.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

On Emulex's web pages, it says that the driver kit version 8.2.0.71 is tested for:

* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 and later (x86, x64, Intel Itanium2 and PowerPC 64-bit architectures)
* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 and later (x86, x64, Intel Itanium2 and PowerPC 64-bit architectures)
* Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.4 and later (x86 and x64 architectures)

All these enterprise distributions have a *much* older kernel version than your "cutting-edge" Fedora 12. The log file you attached indicates your kernel version is 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.PAE, while for example RHEL 5.4 has kernel version 2.6.18-*.

The basic lpfc driver has been included in the standard Linux kernel source for years now. The downloadable driver kits offer some additional features, and/or extra hardware support that was not present in the older kernels.

The error that stops the driver compilation is:
/usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_init.c:3786: error: implicit declaration of function 'pci_enable_device_bars'

The probable cause is that the kernel no longer defines a function named "pci_enable_device_bars", i.e. the kernel module programming interface has been changed because this function has been made obsolete. This driver won't install to your kernel without at least some modifications.

But because the installer indicated it unloaded an existing lpfc driver (and later put it back), you should examine the state of the standard driver.

First, do you have at least one sub-directory named "hostN" (N = number) in directory "/sys/class/fc_host/"? If you have, then you already have a driver loaded that detects your card. That directory will contain some files, from where you can read some generic FibreChannel properties.

You'll find more information in the directory /sys/class/scsi_host/hostN (where N is the same number as with the /sys/class/fc_host/hostN sub-directory). I seem to recall the Emulex lpfc driver has a lot of driver-specific attribute files, named like "/sys/class/scsi_host/hostN/lpfc-*".

When configuring the MSA1000, you'll need to enter the WWN numbers (kind of like MAC addresses on network cards, but with more digits) of your FC cards to the MSA1000 configuration. Each FC card can actually have *two* WWN numbers, a "Node WWN" and a "Port WWN". There usually is only a single-digit difference between the two, and a card-manufacturer-specific rule on how to convert one to the other. You'll also need to set the host type: you should select it according to the OS you're using.

MK
MK
Kyuyong-Kwon
Advisor

Dear all
First of all, Thank you very much.

1. #>lsmod |grep lpfc
there is no file and directory
2. #>cd /sys/class/fc_host
#>ls -al
empty
3. #>cd /sys/class/scsi_host/
#>ls -al
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 0 2010-08-27 07:29 host0 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0f.1/host0/scsi_host/host0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 0 2010-08-27 07:29 host1 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0f.1/host1/scsi_host/host1

4. Attatched a capture file about
msa1000 storage for Linux system.
=>Two machines has connected to MSA 1000 storage. One server is Windows system, Another server is linux system.
So, I configured for linux system on to windows system

Thanks..
Kyuyong-Kwon
Advisor

my mistaken, missed capture file.
Kyuyong-Kwon
Advisor

please help me....
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

do you have something like the below in /etc/modprobe.conf ?

alias scsi_hostadapter2 lpfc

and the output of "lspci|grep -i emulex"

and the output of "modprobe -v lpfc "

I do not use MSA devices so this is a general question. the connectivity to the storage is fibre, the storage has some type of switch and zoning? the zoning from the storage to the server has been done correctly ?

This last item must be done first, or you will never get anywhere. Configure connectivity first, then attack the rest.