1748103 Members
4756 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: errors installing a 2015 to 11.11 hp/ux

rmueller58
Valued Contributor

errors installing a 2015 to 11.11 hp/ux

Reading through several old posts I've tried several things and keep butting heads with a printer at a remote site.

I did install the correct model script.

Tried hppi -s (address only),  tried adding to /etc/hosts 

and used a known printer the attempted to modify que,

errors below:

Network address "XXX.YYY..ZZZ.123" is either not connected to the network
 OR it is NOT an HP JETDIRECT Connected Printer!
Printer Network Address unchanged.

and it rejected the IP address, (or the IP address, rejected the request? )

Spooler:
              1) Add printer to local spooler
              2) Delete printer from local spooler
              3) Modify existing spooler queue(s)
              4) Install New Model Script
              5) Remove Model Script

?) Help            q) Quit

Please enter selection: 1

Enter the network printer name or IP address (q - quit): xxx.yyy.zzz.123

!! xxx.yyy.zzz.123 is NOT an acceptable name!!  
     Either it is NOT a network printer or this host is denied access
     to it!         

Enter the network printer name or IP address (q - quit):

Enter the network printer name or IP address (q - quit): MYQUENAME2015

!! MYQUENAME2015 is NOT an acceptable name!!  
     Either it is NOT a network printer or this host is denied access
     to it!         

Enter the network printer name or IP address (q - quit):

LPD and HP SLP enabled on device as is SNMP RO.

Any thoughts appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

When you're setting up a network printer, that means the spooler will use the Jetdirect port (TCP/9100) to communicate with the printer, not the LPD port (TCP/515).

Try "telnet XXX.YYY.ZZZ.123 9100" from the HP-UX system to the printer - if it says "Connection established", then the connection is OK. If it says "Connection refused" or times out, something is preventing the HP-UX system from connecting to the printer using the JetDirect protocol/port.

If only the LPD port is available, then you will only be able to configure the printer as a remote printer in HP-UX (using SAM or the lpadmin command), and that means reduced functionality since a generic "remote printer" model script will be used.

In addition, the "hppi" tool wants SNMP read access to the printer to confirm its type. (I think it also might try to ping the printer first, to see if it is available.)

If the SNMP and/or ping access to the printer is not available, the hppi tool may not be able to create a printer queue for you. Instead, you can use the addqueue command: first run

/opt/hpnpl/bin/addqueue -l

to see a list of installed model scripts and their corresponding printer IDs. Identify the correct printer ID for your model script: you will need it in the next step.

Then, create the printer queue:

/opt/hpnpl/bin/addqueue -i <printerID> -h xxx.yyy.zzz.123 -q <queuename> 

Replace the <printerID> with the printer ID you found in the previous step, and <queuename> with the print queue name of your choice (max length = 14 characters).

When you specify the printer ID, the addqueue command will assume you know what you're doing and will accept the information without trying to check the printer with SNMP.

The addqueue command has other options too: run man addqueue for details.

The SLP protocol is not used by basic HP-UX 11.11 nor by hppi.

The SLP protocol is available to HP-UX 11.11 as an optional free package:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPUXSLP

However, it seems to me it only provides the SLP server functionality (for announcing services to other systems with SLP) and a library that allows you to build SLP clients, but no complete SLP printer discovery and set-up functionality as such.

MK
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Thanks Matt, I am able to ping and do remote control of the printer, both SLP and LPD is enable,

SNMP 1 read is available as well,

I can add the que with the above process, using addqueue rather than hppi

howver, when I attempt to print a job to the new queue just sits in the queue..

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Can you connect from the HP-UX to the printer using TCP port 9100 or not?

If you cannot connect to port 9100 of the printer, then that is the reason for your troubles.

If you are not allowed to use port 9100, then you cannot use hppi or addqueue: to use LPD, you must add the printer using lpadmin or SAM: if you want to use LPD, the printer must be added as a remote printer, not as a network printer.

In HP-UX terminology:

• local printer = a printer that is directly connected to a HP-UX system using a serial or parallel port. This is now obsolete technology with servers.
  • remote printer = using the LPD protocol. The protocol is designed to expect that the remote host is a computer that has the appropriate model script or driver installed for the printer, so the local host does not need to handle any model-specific functionality: this is not ideal for a modern JetDirect-connected printer, but can be used if better solutions cannot be used.
  • network printer = using the JetDirect protocol (port TCP/9100) and hppi/addqueue tools. This allows the use of model scripts.

As far as I understand, SLP is neither necessary nor relevant for printing from HP-UX to a network printer. SLP might be useful if you are setting up a network printer for Macs, Novell Netware clients, some Linux distributions or Sun (now Oracle) Solaris clients. But the HP-UX print spooler cannot use SLP at all.

MK
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Matt,

Thanks again, it is odd..

I can telnet to the port, I can ping the printer, I can access the web utility via a browser, and can define the que on my UX box, but the job just sits.

I've seen this before, and generally it is a probably with something at the location. This is one our remote sites our workstation support person took the printer out to the location that is being rebuilt after last years Missouri flooding.

We have a printer which was working at that location prior to the destruction, he is going to attempt connect this after noon..