Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752795 Members
5937 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: es40 server hangs at ata0: acer m....

sameerK
Frequent Advisor

es40 server hangs at ata0: acer m....

hello there
I have an ES40 server... initially at p00>> promt its was not showing the 3 hdds ( hotplugg UW scsi). In the process to get these devices recognized we tried to connect them to other SCSI controller in the same server, etc.. but it failed to detect. Then we changed the SCSI cable. Now we can see these disks.But when we try to boot from the original boot disk the server seems to hang after
ata0: acer M....
we tried booting in single user mode using osflags etc.. but its tha same thing again. ( note.. w have connected the hdds to its original scsi controller.
I donot want to reinstall the operating system as the data is very critical.Ne help pls
18 REPLIES 18
Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

Sameer,

Can you post the disk details output. Also which TRU64 version you are using and make sure that you have not changed any of the OS disks.

Have yu tried booting with genvmunix.

Br
Manish
sameerK
Frequent Advisor

version is tru64 5.1b
dkd0.0.0.3.0 (146 GB)
dkd100.1.0.3.0(9Gb)
dkd200.2.0.3.0(146GB)
Pls not we have 2 more scsi cards. whenever we remove them or add them the device name changes..like dkd0 will become dkb0

there are 3 disks 146GB,9Gb & 146GB.

We did not change the position of the disks.that means the boot disk is still in the same slot where it was earlier. It is not in any RAID and the different disks have different file systems.
Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

can you try boting with dkd100....i think that is the OS disk..
i think two 146 GB you have added later...

so the boot device will be dkd100 and boot with genvmunix, if error exist please post the
booting log/traces/messages.

Br
Manish
sameerK
Frequent Advisor

Hi
No actually 146GB is the boot disk.I am sure of that.I donno does it have something to do with display mode ? cos we once tried booting in single user mode & it did boot.But after shutting down again it is now even refusing to boot in single user mode.But when it booted once we noticed that the display changes after ata0:acer..
Anthon Vervoort
Advisor

Hi Sameer

It seems the two added disks (148GB) take over some ID's. So remove them and look what kind of ID of the 9GB disk left.
If the 9GB is still left on slot 0 it must be left ID 0 for booting.
Even if you add new drive, your boot disk has to keep the same ID.

rgds,

Anthon
Anthon
Girdharilal
Advisor

hello anton
I donot see the hdd id problem for the reason.. that even when we boot thru cdrom drive it come and halts at the same place ie ata0:acer m1543c.
Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

ok can you try booting with the same disk by specifying the boot flags for disk and use the genvmunix for booting.

i think if the os or disk is not corrupted it should work.

Br
Manish
Girdharilal
Advisor

hello manish. At first I am using my friends id (girdharilal) as i am on site & forgot my id ( sameer). coming back to the problem..
To inform you further we tried even just keeping cd rom drive connected and reoved all scsi cards just to see if it comes at hangs at same place.. and it does. do you think there could be something wrong with system board? ne idea what is the server suppose to do after this ata0:acer... stage ? I saw some events on internet which shows messages related to scsi...
Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

i suspect the problem is with the board or with the slots can you please remove the newly added disks and then boot the server if it also not working then please let me know, it will be interesting to diagnose this problem.

Br
Manish