Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753383 Members
5906 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: es47 graphic console

Jonathan Burelbach

es47 graphic console

This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to use a graphics console on an ES47 running tru64 5.1B pk3? If so, how? I can plug the cards in, no problem, but do I use the USB ports on the MBM for keyboard/mouse? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

no usb is not supported.

A supported option list is available at HP - so please check if the used graphic card is still supported. Open a call within HP or have a look on the HP pages of the machine.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

did you add a graphics card after installation of os? Please post model.
Cards? How many? ;-)
Doesn't the machine have a ps/2 port for mouse and keyboard?

greetings,

Michael
Jonathan Burelbach

The card is a ATI Radeon 7500 AGP and is supported on the es47. The system design seems odd in that there is no support for console connections other than through the MBM. Why put in a AGP slot if you can't use it for console access? What would happen if I set console graphics? How would I get keyboard and mouse?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what about ps/2 ports for keyboard/mouse?
Without keyboard/mouse it won't switch to graphics. Have you installed the card after the initial os installation?

Michael
Blake Roberts
Frequent Advisor

I have an ES80 with a graphics "console" on it. To do it, you will need to have the supported ATI video card and a USB-to-PS2 dongle for the KVM. USB is supported on those systems in this case.

I'm using the term "console" loosely, because you cannot get to the MBM prompt from this method. You can get to the SRM level, and run any SRM commands, including a graphical build of the OS, firmware updates, etc, however you cannot do any MBM level options. That can only be accessed through the MBM port or the serial console port.

The ES47 is exactly the same as the ES80, except for a jumper on the motherboard. So your results should be the same. My suggestion is to stick with the serial MBM, as it will give you much more functionality.

Regards,
--Blake Roberts
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

if card is plugged in, please boot generic kernel and build a new one... (see admin guide)
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }