New Discussion юеВ

Re: /etc/fstab and suid, rw options

SOLVED
Go to solution
S.S.
Super Advisor

/etc/fstab and suid, rw options

Dear All,

Day before yesterday i have successfully created a filesystem with mount point test2working. I have created the filesystem with the following command:
# newfs -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/Test_vgworking/rtest2working

During the filesystem creation i used only largefiles. Now i want to add rw,suid options.

I am able to see this filesystem under /etc/mnttab file only not in /etc/fstab file. I want to add the newly created filesystem under /etc/fstab also.

Kindly recommend me how it can be done.

Shall we edit the /etc/fstab (vi /etc/fstab) and add the new filesystem.

Kindly suggest me adding the suid, rw options and new filesystem entry in /etc/fstab file.
10 REPLIES 10
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor
Solution

Example :-

backup before you edit the /etc/fstab

# cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.or.24Jan2010

# vi /etc/fstab

/dev/Test_vgworking/test2working /test2working vxfs rw,suid,largefiles,delaylog,datainlog 0 2

:wq!

# mount -a
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you always have to add new filesystem in /etc/fstab if you want it to be automatically mounted upon every rebooot.

To add it...just edit /etc/fstab and put the enrty of this new file ssytem, you can always copy the old option.

you can use

/dev/vg00/LV_name mount_point vxfs rw,suid,nolargefiles,delaylog,datainlog 0 2

you can chose whatever options you want.

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
S.S.
Super Advisor

Hi,

Please clarify my doubts:

1. During the filesystem creation i just used largefiles option. If suppose i add this new filesysem entry in /etc/fstab file with rw, suid options also this could be automatically remouted with the above options?

2. Johnson, after adding the entry. mount -a command will mount all the filesystems of vxfs right. If i use this may i know the impact of other filesystems.

3. In mount_vxfs man pages, there is an option to remount the filesystem. If we remount the filesystem does it needs reboot?

There are few applications are running on this server. Kindly recommend me a possible method to perform this without any affect.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>2. Johnson, after adding the entry. mount -a command will mount all the filesystems of vxfs right. If i use this may i know the impact of other filesystems<<<

there will no impact "mount -a" will mount all the files in reference with /etc/fatab

>>There are few applications are running on this server. Kindly recommend me a possible method to perform this without any affect.<<

It would be better to stop application unmount and mount file system if the file system has been used by application if not its for test purpose i d'not see any impact
Vishu
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

1. Yes, it will automatically mounted with your suid,rw options if you have specified them in /etc/fstab.

2. No impact on other mounted FS. mount -a will try to mount all the FS in /etc/fstab. If any FS is already mounted, it will not remount it or will not make any impact on those FS.

3. No reboot is required to remount an FS.

you can also manually mount that FS from the shell and put the entry in /etc/fstab to automatically mount it next time when server reboots. the way to manually mount is:-

# mount -F vxfs /dev/Test_vgworking/test2working

S.S.
Super Advisor

May i know the affect of the new filesystem. Actually this filesystem capacity is 100% now and will there any affect for the data available.

If there will be no affect then i will edit the fstab file and add this new filesystem entry and do #mount -a.

Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>May i know the affect of the new filesystem. Actually this filesystem capacity is 100% now and will there any affect for the data available.<<<

Nothing affect,

>>>If there will be no affect then i will edit the fstab file and add this new filesystem entry and do #mount -a.<<<

Yes. Please
Jupinder Bedi
Respected Contributor

vi /etc/fstab

/dev/Test_vgworking/test2working /test2working vxfs rw,suid,largefiles,delaylog,datainlog 0 2

and save the file is perfect. whenever you create a new filesystem you need to make an entry in this file to mount the filesystem at the time of booting. /etc/mnttab shows you only that file systems which are currently mounted on the system.

So go a head it will not effect anything.
All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare
S.S.
Super Advisor

I have copied the /etc/fstab to /etc/fstab.20100122 and i edited the /etc/fstab file. I have added the entry /dev/Test_vgworking/test2working /test2working vxfs rw,suid,largefiles,delaylog,datainlog
0 2 and saved it.

The output of the mount -a is

# mount -a
mount: /dev/Test_vgworking/test2working is already mounted on /test2working
mount: /dev/Test_vgdata4prod/test2db4 is already mounted on /test2db4
mount: /dev/Test_vgdata3prod/test2db3 is already mounted on /test2db3
mount: /dev/vg00/dba is already mounted on /dba
mount: /dev/usdsrcexe/usdsrcexe is already mounted on /usdsrcexe
mount: /dev/usdsrcdb2/usdsrcdb2 is already mounted on /usdsrcdb2
mount: /dev/usdsrcdb1/usdsrcdb1 is already mounted on /usdsrcdb1
mount: /dev/Test_vgdataprod/proddb1 is already mounted on /test2db1
mount: /dev/Test_vgdata2prod/proddb2 is already mounted on /test2db2