108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/oracle.conf

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gilbert Standen_1
Frequent Advisor

/etc/ld.so.conf.d/oracle.conf

Hi, I want to add a couple of paths to ldconfig, and my plan is to put them in "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/oracle.conf". My question is, do you put them in separated by a ":" (as in a PATH variable) or do you put each path on a separate line? It looks like they are to go on separate lines, i.e.

/path1
/path2

but I wasn't quite sure. Thank you, Gil
If I could take one thing with me into the next world it would be my valid login to HP ITRC Forums
3 REPLIES 3
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor
Solution

HP-UX does not use ld.so.conf for library preload paths caching. I suppose your query is related to Linux environment.

Anyway, ld.so.conf reads exactly one path per line. You example of /path1 and /path2 being on separate lines is correct.

Regards
-Rajesh
Gilbert Standen_1
Frequent Advisor

Thank you.

Regarding this, what are the opinions about adding paths using files like "oracle.conf" etc. Consider:

http://blogs.sun.com/ali/entry/avoiding_ld_library_path_the

Which do you think is the preferred way to handle LD_LIBARY_PATH (custom library locations)?

"/etc/ld.so.conf.d/oracle.conf" file
vs.
setting it in your current environment
vs.
setting it in the user profile?

Thanks, Gil
If I could take one thing with me into the next world it would be my valid login to HP ITRC Forums
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

It depends on your requirements. If you want all the users on the system executing Oracle to pick up libraries from custom path, then you can put the changes in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/oracle.conf.

If used with sufficient care, LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be used to pick up libraries from custom path for specific processes or all processes executed by particular user. Please note that user programs can optionally clear the environment strings if they call exec(), in such case LD_LIBRARY_PATH will have no effect.

Placing the library path settings in user profile will be equivalent to setting the variable in user environment strings.

Regards
-Rajesh