1748247 Members
3665 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: expanding filesystems in SAN

jackie baron_1
Regular Advisor

expanding filesystems in SAN

I have lots of HPUX experience but none with SAN. How do I modify (expand) filesystems that are part of a SAN system? Obviously in my experience if I wanted to expand a filesystem (in the traditional way) I would just unmount it and use the lvextend commands, etc. but with SANs I'm clueless.

Thnx
18 REPLIES 18
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

HPUX Version?
type of SAN?

Regards, Jorge
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you talkabout file systems it makes no difference where they are.

Most SAN (in fact SAN based disk arrays) allow to expand LUNs. HPUX 11.23 and above can handle this, 11.11 cannot.
So you may consider to create another LUN, add the LUN to the VG, extend the LV and the file system.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Adding to Torsten.... yes, it doesn't make much of a difference and since you are unmounting your file system.... looks like you have an FOE or BOE with Base JFS product and i guess by that etc. in your question you mean extendfs because an lvextend only extends the container of the filesystem that is your LV and not the filesystem itself.

Only thing that you would have to remember while working with a LUN is a quote from many documents "HPUX normally has no visiblility to the disks within a LUN"... I quoute that out of context since we are talking about LVM configuration, probably one of the few things notable while working with SAN and LVM in terms of configuration of LVM.

Regards
Ismail Azad

Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
jackie baron_1
Regular Advisor

HPUX version is 11.23.

Have a file system that is 230Gb and need to make it 260Gb.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Jackie.. that is not enough info. Pls send:

bdf /mntpnt (of filesystem you wish to expand)

mount -p|grep mntpnt

vxlicrep

Expanding Filesystems in HP-UX on whatever type of disks is the same and only vary with what type of volume manager and filesystem you use.

Expanding LUNs (or Disks) is a different matter though.

Hakuna Matata.
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Are you using LVM?

As far as I know, LVM does not support increasing the size of one of its Physical volumes. The SAN LUN is a PV to LVM.

Assuming the LUN was 50GB when added to the volume group, LVM will set it up as a 50GB disk. If you then increase the LUN size to 60GB on the array, HPUX will see it is now 60GB but LVM will still only be able to use the first 50GB. So with LVM you need to create a new LUN, add it to the volume group and then lvextend the logical volume which has the file system on it. You can do the with commands or use SAM or smh to extend the lvol and SAM and smh will also extend the filesystem.

If you are not using LVM and you created the filesystem directly on top of the LUN, then you can expand the LUN on the disk array and do and ioscan on HPUX. You should then do a diskinfo to verify that HPUX sees the new size.

You can then extend the filesystem using the vxfs commands. fsadm is one comamnd that will work but there are others.
jackie baron_1
Regular Advisor

Alziy,

Here is the data you requested:

adec12:/root#bdf /db/P2ZARDB
Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
/dev/P2ZARDB/db 230948864 28248 229116624 0% /db/P2ZARDB

adec12:/root#mount -p|grep /db/P2ZARDB
/dev/P2ZARDB/db /db/P2ZARDB vxfs ioerror=mwdisable,largefile s,mincache=direct,delaylog,convosync=direct,dev=40100002 0 0
/dev/P2ZARDB/temp /db/P2ZARDB/temp vxfs ioerror=mwdisable,largefile s,mincache=direct,delaylog,convosync=direct,dev=40100004 0 0
/dev/P2ZARDB/arch /db/P2ZARDB/arch vxfs ioerror=mwdisable,largefile s,delaylog,dev=40100003

The FS needs to be expanded to 260 Gb.

jackie baron_1
Regular Advisor

Also

adec12:/root#vxlicrep

VERITAS License Manager vxlicrep utility version 3.02.006
Copyright (C) 1996-2004 VERITAS Software Corp. All Rights reserved.

Creating a report on all VERITAS products installed on this system

-----------------***********************-----------------

License Key = 3JZU-WDP6-PP6C-P4O4-HS38-NPPO-P
Product Name = VERITAS File System
Serial Number = 1
License Type = PERMANENT
OEM ID = 4095

Features :=
HP_OnlineJFS = Enabled

CPU Count = Not Restricted
Platform = HP-UX
Version = 4.1