Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752563 Members
4869 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

exporting kernel parameter from 4.0F to 5.1A

exporting kernel parameter from 4.0F to 5.1A

Dear All
I have to export kernel parameter from 4.0F to 5.1A.

- How can I save boot time kernel parameters of all the kernel sybset into a text file, so that these can be imported on tru64 ver 5.1A?
- some of the parameter spell changed e.f Shm-max to Shm_max. Will it will be tacken care by system during import?
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: exporting kernel parameter from 4.0F to 5.1A

Hi,

I don't think this is such a good idea because you don't know how the default values have changed and some parameters are also obsoleted during the change. I would make a printout of the parameter and add those you need to /etc/sysconfigtab

greetings,

Michael

OK I'll follow the same procedure. I'll take the printout of kernel paramenet and change it in new installation.
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Safest thing to do is to run a sys_check and to save its output (html) file. That contains all the important configurations details.

Or you can give a command similar to this to do what you asked for:

sysconfig -s | awk -F: '{print $1}' | \
xargs -n 1 sysconfig -q

However I completely agree with Michael that it is not a good idea to just use (all of) your V4 kernel parameter settings on your V5 system. The meaning and implementation of several parameters has changed. I would try to tune as little as possible and only tune those things that your application requires (e.g. the ipc and proc settings).
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You can check the /etc/sysconfigtab on both servers.

Then, use sysconfigdb to modify the sysconfigtab as needed.

You should use the sysconfig -q subsystem to check if the parameter still exists, some where removed.

Also, i agree that you should change only the needed parameters, and recheck it.

May change based on the hardware, software version or patch kit level.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?

I understand that only the parameter required on new kernel should be changed