none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
LABEL=/tmp /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/usr /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/var /var ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/vpgroup /vpgroup ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

how can i extend /usr online without destroying the contents?

Also, it is not in LVM.

3 REPLIES 3
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Re: extend /usr on linux

If it is not LVM best way is to take the backup and then increase the /usr file system.
Hope this help!!
BR,
Kapil
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If it's using a traditional partitioning scheme, there is no way to extend /usr online.

The first problem: if the partitions are created in order, you would have to destroy /var to be able to extend /usr. When using the traditional scheme, all partitions must be contiguous.

The second problem: even if you can arrange the space to extend the /usr partition, any changes to the partition table won't become effective while the system is running *unless* all partitions of that disk are unmounted. Your disk seems to contain the root partition which definitely cannot be unmounted.

The LABEL tags in the /etc/fstab prevent us for seeing the actual partition layout. Could you provide the output of "cat /proc/mounts" and "fstab -l /dev/cciss/c0d0"?

MK
MK
Shahul
Esteemed Contributor

The partition changes will be picked up by partprobe command, but it's scary to extend /usr online, I never done.. Your best bet will be to take backup and then try doing something.

Best of luck
Shahul