New Discussion юеВ

Re: external USB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

external USB

Hello again boyz!!

In our mini network, we have a wireless router with a USB port. According to the documentation, we can attach and external hard drive, complete with an ip-address, effectively creating a mini-SAN. Our 2 HP-UX boxes, (one blade, one rx7640, both 11.31,) are on this mini-network. Would it stand to reason that they would able to take advantage of this external storage?

Or, am I WAY off base here?

Regards,

Ron Irving
Should have been an astronaut.
4 REPLIES 4

>> Would it stand to reason that they would able to take advantage of this external storage?

Probably yes - how does the router share the disk? Presumably one of NFS, CIFS/SAMBA or iSCSI?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Hi and thanks for replying!

There is no mention in the documentation of NFS, CIFS, Samba, or anything else. I tells me 'how' to create a shared partition on an external hard-drive, and how to format, etc. It even tells me how to make the router an FTP server. This is a Linksys E3000 wireless-N router.
Solution

Ron,

Hmm looking at the user guide here:

http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/userguide/E3000-EE_UG_V10_A-WEB_3425-00144.pdf

It's very much a "domestic" appliance this isn't it - it tries to steer away from using any IT jargon, which probably makes sense for its target audience.

It does however talk about "creating shares" (on p19), which I would imply are in fact CIFS/SAMBA shares, so you might be able to connect to a folder shared off this device using a CIFS client on your HP-UX system.

I'm no CIFS expert - never had cause to use it, but the admin guide for the CIFS client is here:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02017767/c02017767.pdf

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Duncan!! That's probably what we'll do.

I appreciate your assistance!!