4943 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

fbackup Problem

HP UNIX Professionals
Frequent Advisor

fbackup Problem

Hi,

We are taking fbackup in local tape drive.
I have one issue in fbackup, even though tape drive is OK, i am getting error such as

Erorr:
======
fbackup(3003): normal EOT
fbackup(3316): enter '^[yY]' when volume 2 is ready on /dev/rmt/c4t0d0BESTb,
or '^[nN]' to discontinue:
fbackup(3004): writer aborting
fbackup(1002): Backup did not complete : Reader or Writer process exit
Exited on Wed Jan 6 05:16:41 EST 2010

Tape Status:
============
# mt -f /dev/rmt/0mb status
Drive: HP C1533A
Format: DDS-2 format
Status: [41112400] BOT online compression immediate-report-mode
File: 0
Block: 0

Please Give me solution for this

Thanks in advance,

Vinay
11 REPLIES 11
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Re: fbackup Problem

"Erorr:
======
fbackup(3003): normal EOT
fbackup(3316): enter '^[yY]' when volume 2 is ready on /dev/rmt/c4t0d0BESTb,
or '^[nN]' to discontinue:
fbackup(3004): writer aborting
fbackup(1002): Backup did not complete : Reader or Writer process exit
Exited on Wed Jan 6 05:16:41 EST 2010
"

so, do you get that error immediately when starting the fbackup, or does it run for a while firtst?

I ask, because the message implies that you've filled a tape? Is that a possiblit?/
ITRC forums_2
Advisor

You can do few things.

If you are getting this message immediately as soon as your backup starts, then it problem seems to be tape media, so you can use some other tape and see.

Secondly, it is also possible that your backup is not fitted in your tape and that is why it is prompting you for tape,

If you feel above steps is Ok , then try to take the backup from command line.

Thx,
HP UNIX Professionals
Frequent Advisor

I am getting this error after 25 min.

vnay
ITRC forums_2
Advisor

So it could be possible that your backup is not fitted in your tape and that is why fbackup prompting you for tape.

simple test:- just try to fbackup few of the files e.g /etc/hosts, /etc/group and see.
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

You are getting this message because your cardridge is becoming full, you need to insert the second cartridge and press enter.

You can also try to use a fresh new cartridge.

How much data are you traying to backup? DDS2 can only take 12/24 GB
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

Let me make a correction,

DDS2 can only have 4/8 GB meaning 4 GB Native and approx. 8 GB with compression. You also have to know that compression ratio depends on your file types.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This is normal when you try to store more data than will fit on the tape. The error message implies that fbackup wasn't run interactively. Someone will have to run fbackup from a login, then change tapes whenever requested and type y when the new tape is ready. Repeat aas many times as needed until fbackup finishes.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
HP UNIX Professionals
Frequent Advisor

Hi Blunt,

As per you, the error is due to Capacity of Tape Cartridge(only 4 GB), we need to put high capacity tape.

Can you help me in this, what is the high capcity supported by the " HP C1533A" Tape Drive.

Thanks,

vinay
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> C1533A

This is a DDS-2 tape drive and can store only 4 GB on a DDS-2 tape. With compression, you might get 5 GB but seldom will you get the 8 GB quoted by the ads. You cannot put a higher capacity tape (such as a DDS-3 or DDS-4) into the drive. The drive will reject the tape. DDS-2 is very old technology (apx. 1993) and writes at less than 1 MB/sec.

Here is a link that document HP tape drives and tapes:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00028345

Bill Hassell, sysadmin