108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fbackup data size

SOLVED
Go to solution
gany59
Regular Advisor

fbackup data size

how to know the size of the data backed up by the tape drive , using the fbackup utility, and how to know what are all the files inside the tape, and i am very much confused with the mt -t /dev/rm/0mn status output. Pls let me know..
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

The verbose output ('-v') from a 'fbackup' session lists the block size of each file backed up. Blocks are 512 characters in length. At the end, is a line of the " total file blocks read" summing these block sizes. Added to this is the overhead (metadata) for the archive itself. This is reflected in the line "total blocks written".

To evaulate the contents of a backup after the fact, use 'frecover'. You can do:

# frecover -I - -N -f /dev/rmt/0m

This outputs the files and sizes (in characters) backed up to your terminal (the dash).

The output of 'mt -t /dev/rm/0mn status' isn't going to assess anything about a tape's contents.

Regards!

...JRF...

gany59
Regular Advisor

Hi JRF,

Thanks for ur response.. is there any option to view the contents of the ignite backed up tape.. in some instance , if e need to recover the/etc/passwd file, so at that instance all the OS configuration files are in the ignite backup right ?.. so how to view the files in the ignite from the backup..
Pls let me know..
thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

the Ignite backup tape is not a tar backup, it is a specially formatted copy of HP-UX (so that it can be booted into memory), followed by a pax or tar backup of your files depending on the backup options you used. So to restore, you must use the mt command to position the tape past the first file on the tape. Be sure to use the Berkeley device file for the tape to stop auto-rewind.

Suppose if you want to restore passwd file
Use
tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0mn etc/passwd
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

One more example :-

Say you want to restore /etc/hosts from the make_tape_recovery....

1) insert tape in drive
2) rewind the tape -- mt -f /dev/rmt/15mn rew
3) fast forward over the boot header -- mt -f /dev/rmt/15mn fsf 1
4) extract the file(s) required -- tar -xvf /dev/rmt/15mn etc/hosts

NOTE: The files are stored on tape relative to the '/' directory, so they do NOT have a leading '/'.

If you want to get a list of files on tape you can do 'tar -tvf /dev/rmt/15mn' in step 4 above.
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference