New Discussion юеВ

Re: fbackup from 11.31 and frecover to 11.11

SOLVED
Go to solution
FaizirizaL
Frequent Advisor

fbackup from 11.31 and frecover to 11.11

Hi all,

I have taken fbackup from 11.31 box and now want to frecover the files to 11.11 box. Is that possible? If yes, can anyone provide me the command?

Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor
Solution

hello,

ya that should be all possible.

the frecover command sysntax goes like this simply..

#frecover -vxf /dev/rmt/0mn -i /dir1 -i /dir2

that is from the fabckup that is exisying on the tape media placed in the drive /dev/rmt/0mn selectively recover the directories /dir1 and /dir2 to their original location if u have created the /dir1 and /dir2 on ur server.

#frecover -rvf /dev/rmt/0mn

means recover all on the tape to the original location (original directories)

#cd /test1
#frecover -vXf /dev/rmt/0mn -i /dir1 -i /dir2

that is recover from the backup existing on the tape media the directories as /dir1 and /dir2 to current directory that is /test1 instead of the original location.

#cd /test2
#frecover -rXf /dev/rmt/0mn

recover everything on the tape to the current directory that is /test2 instead of their original directories...

for more u can have a look at the man page of the command frecover(1M)

Regards
Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi

sorry one mistake in the earlier post ... better if u use /dev/rmt/0m instead of /dev/rmt/0mn .... also check that the device file of the tape drive might be different on the system , it can be /dev/rmt/1mn or so .. please refer to the ioscan -fnCtape for the device file pointing to the tape drive.

Also once u load the media in the drive, u can rewind that before starting the recover of the data and check the status of the Drive that media is loaded and online before recover is started.

#mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn rewind
#mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn status

Regards
Sujit
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You can't do that. The formats are incompatible. You can only do the reverse.
Using -V on 11.31 gives:
Magic Field:FBACKUP*LABEL
For 11.23:
Magic Field:FBACKUP_LABEL

See WARNINGS:
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/fbackup.1M.html#d0e307586
Archives and files with formats and attributes that are unsupported on previous HP-UX releases could cause severe problems or unpredictable behavior if attempts were made to restore onto these systems. ...
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi

thanks dennis for pointing that i out, i regret that i happened to overlook that ... but this is for those files and formats that are not supported on the earlier vesion of HP-UX ...

what if they are normal files as dbf files or the text files ....

what does this Warning read then ?

regards
Sujit

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Sujit: what if they are normal files as dbf files or the text files .... what does this Warning read then?

The warning says you are completely hosed. The first words are "Archives ... incompatible". So it doesn't matter what is backed up.
I tried it and that's what happens, hosed.
frecover(5420): not an fbackup volume; magic value is incorrect
frecover(5412): Do you wish to try to salvage this volume? (^[yY]/^[nN]) y

It quickly gets lost on the BOHEOHBLOCK MAGIC.
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi dennis and Faiziri i have opened a new thread for the same.

pplease visit

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1306409

also want to say that dennis i was able to frecover an fbackup taken on 11.31 to 11.23 though this was for the backup created on the disk for the /usr/newconfig/etc , the backup file named was newconfig.fback.

this i ftp transferred to the 11.23 system and was able to recover there.

though 2 warnings had come

1)salvage the vol information?
2)use the new mtime??

i answered with yes and i was able to frecover.

Please find the screen shot as attached for reference and i might need to know as my own thread i have started more closely for the fbackup warning and the type of files that frecover thalsk abot in the manpages

Regards
Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi faiziri,

IN that scenario then it shall be better that u use tar or pax to take the backup and restore on the 11.11 system. due to the limitations and warnings inmposed by the fbackup formats of the magic numbers that are different for 11.31 and 11.23. In case even if u are able to restore using frecover, u cant be sure about the integrity of the files and data.

so u can follow a tar or pax to take a backup and restore the same.

also in further releases of HP-UX the fbackup command is going to be discontinued.
this had been an excellent business oriented backup tool and a stron one.

Regards
Sujit