Operating System - HP-UX
1753640 Members
5153 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

fbackup made on D 10.20 system; can't frecover on 10.01?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dee_3
Regular Advisor

fbackup made on D 10.20 system; can't frecover on 10.01?

I have multiple platforms on which developers backup and restore. A tape was made on a 10.20 system with a DDS2 tape drive as follows: fbackup -f/dev/rmt/2gbtape -i/JDIS/PROG/WIN When trying to read the tape on a 10.01 system, we get the following: frecover(5420): not an fbackup volume; magic value is incorrect. Here's three things I found on the HP database: (1) the Magic Field value changed with release 10.20, (2) 10.20 fbackup tapes cannot be read by earlier versions of frecover to keep large files from being loaded on a 10.01 etc. file system that cannot handle them, and (3) a patch (PHCO_9228) that would allow us to read 10.20 and up tapes on an older o/s using tar because of the fbackup header label change. Two questions: which of the above or are all of the above my problem, and do I have any way around this so I can restore these tapes in fbackup form? Thanks, Terri Christensen.

5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: fbackup made on D 10.20 system; can't frecover on 10.01?

Terri,

Honestly, the issue is that you still have 10.01 machines. Wouldn't it be better to have all of your machines at 10.20?

if you have the disk space, restore to your 10.20 machine, and rcp the directories over to the other machine.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

well if the different hosts are able to communicate via networks, then you could use:
ftp
rcp
rdist

If the files are less than 2Gb in size, you could use :
tar
cpio
pax

as far as frecover is concerned, I am afraid it will not work as the archives created by these versions of the commands are readable only by the corresponding frecover and vxdump, and not by their earlier versions.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
pap
Respected Contributor

Hi Terry,

If you have the original machine and data already existing at this time, you have following options.

1. as Harry said bring up the machine and do rcp for all required fils on new machine. You have to add entry for the new machine in your /.rhosts file for that.

2. Other option is that try to bring 10.01 machine up, put the fbackup tape in it which you already made in 10.01 machine. Try to recover the files to 10.20 machine over the network.
as you know, fbackup has option for taking up data backup and restore over the network.
In the second case, I think you will be able to restore your data. This is a suggestion, you may try our this.

Thanks,

-Piyush.

"Winners don't do different things , they do things differently"
Dee_3
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the replies. Tried and tested tar and it worked. Guess we'll work with that. Terri.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Terri,

If you go for tar, get gnu's tar, it's a lot better.

http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Gnu/tar-1.13.25/

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die