Operating System - HP-UX
1753814 Members
7916 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fbackup - restoring data from tape

jaykey

fbackup - restoring data from tape

i had taken fbackup (using SAM) of a linux server through an hp-ux server by nfs mounting file systems. after backup while cataloging the tape, files are showing in intex file and i am able to restore some data from the tape except home directory of a particular user. SAM recovery session will generate mount point till /Linux_home and then stops. i waited for more than 12 hrs but no result, its not showing any error message also.
hi experts, please help me to restore the data ASAP
6 REPLIES 6
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

As per my knowledge. :(

I Don't expect fbackup to work across different platforms, it is a HP-UX tool.
If you absolute want to backup the HP-UX client from Linux, NFS-mount the HP-UX filesystems on the Linux box and use some Linux tool for backup.
Or better, use a backup tool which supports multiple platforms (as Data Protector or Legato Networker).

extract from man page& -> The use of fbackup for backing up NFS mounted file systems is not guaranteed to work as expected if the backup is done as a privileged user. This is due to the manner in which NFS handles privileged-user access by mapping user root and uid 0 to user nobody, usually uid -2, thus disallowing root privileges on the remote system to a root user on the local system.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

pls. D'not forget to assign points , if you are satisfied with the answers,

Check below link explains how to assign points.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
jaykey

thakyou for the support

still i am able to restore data from the tape except one users home directory.
is there any way to forcefully restore entire tape or particular file system from tape ?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>except one users home directory. is there any way to forcefully restore entire tape or particular file system from tape?

You can use frecover -F to restore to where you are, then you can see about moving the files where you want.
jaykey

i have tried below commands, but same result

#cd /tmp

#frecover -f /dev/rmt/4m -Xx -v -F -i /Linux_home/pqmg

Regards
JK
john korterman
Honored Contributor

Hi,

perhaps the requested file is not present on the tape: one of the first items fbackup writes to the tape in a backup session is the index file, which - at the time when it is written - should be considered as a list of intention.
However, in the time span between the writing of the index file and the time when the file is supposed to be backed up, the file may have beeen deleted.
Alternatively, something else may have gone wrong in the session, e.g. lack of tape space: tape no. 2 may not been supplied, as this request may have appeared on the console in a SAM session. Check the log of the fbackup session if possible.
You can check the actual data present on the tape by using the N-option, which fakes a restore, e.g.:

# frecover -v -N -f /dev/rmt/4m >/tmp/output 2>&1

regards,
John K.
it would be nice if you always got a second chance