108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

fence_rsa on RedHat Cluster Suit

SOLVED
Go to solution
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

fence_rsa on RedHat Cluster Suit

Could some one explain the term fence_rsa on RedHat Cluster Suit and its importance. I have the manual . But i would like to discuss it in forum and get some comments from the experts.
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: fence_rsa on RedHat Cluster Suit

fence_rsa is an I/O Fencing agent which can be used with the IBM RSA II management interface. It logs into an RSA II device via telnet and reboots the associated machine. Lengthy telnet connections to the RSA II device should be avoided while a GFS cluster is running because the connection will block any necessary fencing actions.

I don't have any IBM machines, but it seems that this works like fence_ilo for HP Integrated Lights Out card, which I'm using.

The objective is that, when the nodes cannot comunicate between them, will connect to the IBM RSA and send the command to reboot the server. This is to avoid "split brain" or hang/recover situations.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

what would be the diffeence when i use self_fence value zero or one

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

self_fence is the value configured when you specify in the cluster configuration tools the following attribute:

Reboot host node if unmount fails ├в If checked, reboots the node if unmounting this
file system fails. The default setting is unchecked.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?