1748180 Members
4026 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fibre channel driver received link dead

C_V
Frequent Advisor

fibre channel driver received link dead

Hi guys i have checked one of FC in the server has a status of Awaiting_link_up. I have checked this site http://docs.hp.com/en/diag/ems/dm_ql_adapter.htm and it give these actions

# Verify that the fiber optic cable is functional and securely attached to the Fibre Channel Mass Storage Adapter.
# Verify that the device which is connected to the adapter port is functioning correctly.
# Verify that the adapter port is functioning correctly by performing internal and external loopback tests. Please attach a loopback hood to the adapter port when executing a loopback test.

But i dont know how to do this, can anyone assist.
Also can this be done remotely? or do i have to verify it physically on the machine.
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The first step must be verified physically on-site. Check that the connectors are securely plugged-in, and that the cable is not damaged. Observe the minimum bending radius of the fibre: a fibre-optic cable can be easily damaged by kinks or knots.

The second step depends on what the connected device actually is. If it's a large storage system which has independent network connection for configuration and diagnostics, you may be able to verify its state remotely (see the system's documentation on how to do that). If it's a simple device which is only accessible through the FibreChannel interface, you'll need to verify it physically (by looking at its front panel LEDs or something, see the manual of the device).

The third step:

The internal loopback test can be run remotely using the fcmsutil, BUT the looped-back test traffic will also be sent out on the fibre, so you'll need to disconnect or disable the device you have connected to the FC adapter before running the test. Read "man fcmsutil" and don't proceed until you understand the warnings.

The external loopback test requires that you unplug the fibre from the adapter and connect a loopback plug in its place. So this must be done physically on-site.

MK
MK
C_V
Frequent Advisor

fcmsutil is the one that i know, are there any other tools that i can use to check the status of the fibre channel i cant find any on the net.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

As far as I know, there is nothing else.

MK
MK