New Discussion юеВ

file system is growing

SOLVED
Go to solution
vthiru
Advisor

file system is growing

Hello Admins,

In one of our HP-UX 11i server, one file system is growing like anything. When i checked the directories i really couldn't find any huge files. Please let me know how to find the hidden or suspicious files.

Thanks in advance.

vthiru
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: file system is growing

Hi Vthiru:

Specifying *which* filesystem would lead to a better answer, but as a first approximation I suggest doing:

# du -xk /path | sort -knr1,1 | more

...which presents the largest utilzation to the lowest. This helps identify where you might want to look first.

Regards!

...JRF...
vthiru
Advisor

Thanks James,

It is one of the TWS file system and the growing directory is stdlist.

I am using the below command to check and remove the files manually:

du -axk | sort -nr | more

Regards,
Thiru
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ah, now that does not surprise me.

The stdlist directory under the TWS directory can grow to be quite large. The stdlist directory holds logs and output from ALL jobs run on that particular server. If you run lots of jobs, it can grow quite quickly.

Under the stdlist directory you will find directories separated out by day. The format is YYYY.MM.DD, I believe.

So, if you cd into the stdlist directory you can then do a 'du -ks *' and see the size of each days directory.

This directory is allows you to see the job logs if you set an alternate plan of a past date in the TWS GUI.

If you have never cleaned this directory out, then you will have logs from every day since you started using TWS.

I try to make it a habit to clean out the stdlist directories on all of my TWS clients and server periodically. This thread reminds me that it is probably time to do that agin.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

By the way, you should check this directory on your TWS server and ALL TWS clients as well.
vthiru
Advisor

Thanks Patrick,

I completely agree with you. But whats happening is if I use "du -ks" command it is not showing up all the files under it. And also, in normal the directories are at around 25MB size only. But suddenly it started growing to around 600MB from 10th. There is some issue with the TWS job hosted in that server. I will work with the job owner and will figure it out.

Thanks again.

Thiru.
vthiru
Advisor

Thanks James & Patrick for helping me to sort out the issue.

Thiru.