HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filesystem size is growing

satheeshnp
Advisor

filesystem size is growing

Hi,

My file system size is growing 1MB/sec. I need to know why its growing and how.

when i tried fuser -cu /mountpoint

lot of pid with user(every thing root). Since netbackup database is running. I cant kill all the process.

How to identify and kill that.
2 REPLIES
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: filesystem size is growing

which filesystem ?
what file is growing ?
do you expect anyone to read minds or something ?

find /filesystem_growing -size +10000000c | xargs ls -l

this will find you files larger than 10MB or so in size. You can change the number if it generates too many or too little. But 10M is fine in my opinion as threshold

Then see which file(s) are huge in size and monitor their growth behavior with continuously running ls -l against those. Then figure out which process keeps them open (did you hear about wonderful utility called lsof ? Use it !)

If you are still stumped, come and post your findings as detailed as you can to get better answers

Re: filesystem size is growing

> lot of pid with user(every thing root). Since netbackup database is running. I cant kill all the process.

what is your filesystem usage? a growing filesystem alone wouldn't be a problem, filesystems are meant to be used. you said that netbackup is running, so maybe it is a timed job and it will finish in some hours. Kill would be IMHO a drastic solution, even with SIGSTOP. it's better to tell the user to stop his process normally.
Unix operates with beer.