7456 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

format HP-UX disk

SUBRAMANYAM ANUPINDI_1
Frequent Advisor

format HP-UX disk

Hi,

We are decommissioning our prod boxes which have HP-UX 11i Ver1 O/S on it. We want to format disks to clean up data.

a) We want to cleanup data so that data can't be recovered with any method

b) We want to use these disks again for some other purpose.

I read about "mediainit" and assume that will work for both a) and b)

1)If "mediainit" works can some one give me detail steps on how this can be done.

2)If "mediainit" is not the option than what is the other methods to do this.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: format HP-UX disk

>> a) We want to cleanup data so that data can't be recovered with any method

Any method?

Shredder them.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If the data on the disks is worth more than the price of new disks, the most reliable method is to actually physically destroy the disks.

But if the disks need to be reusable, overwriting the data (possibly multiple times) is the best you can do.

For any disks manufactured in this century, "mediainit" is not recommended:

http://viktorbalogh.net/blog/hp-ux/hp-ux_sysadm/some-thoughts-about-mediainit-low-level-formatting-and-why-it-mustnt-be-done

Michael Roberts' answer in this old thread includes instructions for building a custom Ignite boot media (=a bootable tape) that will completely overwrite all disks attached to a HP-UX system with zero bytes:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/Best-way-to-DOD-wipe-drives-with-sensitive-data/m-p/4926568#M159101

MK

MK
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Please keep in mind that, short of taking a sledge hammer and a power drill to physically destroy the storage platters of a disk drive, you DO NOT have a 100% proof way of wiping out your data. With the sufficiently high tech devices and methods, your data can be dug up from wipe-out by any kind of software method.

Having said that, running your disk thruough this command, several times in succession, should give you a peace of mind :

dd if=/dev/urandom of=dev/rdsk/cXtXdX bs=8192k

Hope this helps.

Thanks all for reply. I can compromise data for re-use. These disks will be used within our company and data security shouldn't be that serious.

So, can i run dd command on non O/S disk while system is UP and finally run on O/S disks. Our O/S disks are software mirrored on two disks. How we can do this for O/S disks

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

> How we can do this for O/S disks

Same way as for the other disks. The only difference is that the dd will eventually fail when it overwrites enough of the OS and the machine fails.

Pete

Pete
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

or, you wipe out the non-os disks first. Build your new OS on the newly wiped disks. Once the system is bac alive, wipe out the old OS disks using the same method.

Hope this helps

Just be aware that for SSD's this is an altogether different question, in which it is extremely impractical to think you can wipe out a disk, as you can never "see" all of the flash memory to wipe it out, you can only "see" what's presented *as a disk*.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
donna hofmeister
Trusted Contributor

You may wish to consider WipeDisk/ux from Allegro Consultants (www.allegro.com). The product can be rented if you don't have an on-going need for the product.
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

This is what I do to clean the boot disks:
1) boot Ignite 11.31 from network
2) select [ Run an Expert Recovery Shell ]
3) tftp the files 'libpthread.so.1' and 'mediainit' from another system
4) chmod u+x mediainit
5) mv libpthread.so.1 /usr/lib/hpux32/
6) mediainit -S