Operating System - HP-UX
1753817 Members
8308 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fsck: /dev/vg00/rlvol3: possible swap device (cannot determine)

NonGuru
Advisor

fsck: /dev/vg00/rlvol3: possible swap device (cannot determine)

I have a B2600 w/11.00. The root FS got full and the system started crashing. Cleaned and got it to 65% usage. Now the systems stop autobooting with the lvol3 (root FS) complaining about errors.I boot under maintenance. Got complains on fsck with the -o full option, tried with just the -y and -F hfs and got "possible swap device error, Any clues?
Some info:
# more /etc/fstab
/dev/vg00/lvol3 / hfs defaults 0 1
# fsck -y -F hfs /dev/vg00/rlvol3 (Ran under maint, after vgchange -a y vg00
fsck: /dev/vg00/rlvol3: possible swap device (cannot determine)
CPU1:Admin>vgdisplay -v
LV Name /dev/vg00/lvol3
LV Status available/syncd
LV Size (Mbytes) 2048
Current LE 64
Allocated PE 64
Used PV 1
6 REPLIES 6
smatador
Honored Contributor

Hi,
It appear that you have this issue until the 7 april.
Do you have a ignite backup, perhaps it's better considering to restore it.

Do you read this recent thread
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1306284
Quite same problem because on your first thread, I read this error on your post message:
"/sbin/ioinitrc:
fsck: /dev/vg00/lvol1: possible swap device (cannot determine)
fsck SUSPENDED BY USER.
/dev/vg00/lvol1: No such device or address
Unable to mount /stand - please check entries in /etc/fstab"

So perhaps you could try to repair /stand first. I'm curious to know what do you remove to get / to 65%? Could you tell more about the cleaning?

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

You're running fsck on the root filesystem (/dev/vg00/rlvol3) and telling it to assume that the filesystem type is HFS. Are you sure that's correct?

In a standard HP-UX 11.00 installation, only the /stand filesystem (/dev/vg00/rlvol1) uses HFS: all the others use vxfs.

Because /etc/fstab is not used to mount the root filesystem, the root filesystem type information in /etc/fstab might be incorrect. (To access /etc/fstab, the root filesystem must be already mounted!)

The message from fsck seems to indicate that either the filesystem type *isn't* HFS, or the filesystem corruption is really bad.

Try running "fsck -y -F vxfs /dev/vg00/rlvol3": if it proceeds further, you'll know the filesystem is actually vxfs. If it cannot recognize the filesystem either, I'm afraid it may be the time to find the latest Ignite backups...

MK
MK
NonGuru
Advisor

For cleaning I did apply patches and removed backups ps replaced patches.
Under maintenace mode ran fsck and got an error.
# fsck -F vxfs -y /dev/vg00/rlvol3
invalid super-block
vxfs fsck: cannot initialize aggregate
file system check failure, aborting ...

So from what I gather, its time for what I did not want to do. RESTORE. I do have Ignite. Since the system is working perfectly except for the "not reboting automatially" issue. Can I do a full backup now and then the image restore? Will that "rearrange the files uode the root filesystem? Thanks
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Hello NonGuru,

As said previously, even I believe that fstab might have incorrect entry for lvol3 (root). I have never seen root to be hfs till now so I would probably doubt fstab.

Try running the fsck command with option "-F vxfs". Else go for ignite.

Regds,
R.K.
Don't fix what ain't broke
Bart Paulusse
Respected Contributor

please post output of
cat /etc/fstab
lvdisplay /dev/vg00/lvol3

Jeff Gyurko
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

You should try to determine exactly what FStype the filesystem is. You can issue an fsadm -F hfs /dev/vg00/rlvol3 and it should give you details about the filesystem. If it's not an hfs filesystem it will tell you that the volume is not hfs.

If the only thing that doesn't work is autoboot, and you can actually boot manually, you should also check the bootstrap information assigned to the primary boot device.