Re: fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mapper

Zinky
Honored Contributor

What does:

multipath -ll

show?

Also -- what does pvscan show?

I think your device mapper config is most likely screwy if your multi-path devices do not come up.

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Oh PowerPath...
Check your Powerpath environment too... Make sure your server still see them EMC disks...

inquire (inq) tool you have?
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

With Powerpath installed, you will get exactly these errors if you don't use the _netdev option on fstab, since at the moment vgscan is run during startup PowerPath emcpowerxxx devices are not available, after powerpath is started it runs vgscan once again , that's why you need the _netdev option in fstab.
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

For further reference, from the PowerPath Admin Guide:

Excerpt from Admin Guide below:

The _netdev option in /etc/fstab
For RHEL 5, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3, PowerPath devices should be mounted with the _netdev option instead of the defaults option in the /etc/fstab file. This will ensure that fsck is run later in the boot sequence.

http://www.emc.com/microsites/clariion-support/pdf/300-008-345.pdf

"The _netdev option in /etc/fstab. For RHEL 5, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3, PowerPath devices should be mounted with the _netdev option instead of the defaults option"

Regards!
Zinky
Honored Contributor

I don;t think he is using EMC -- I thought those emc devcies above were Ravi's.

/dev/dm-NN as PVs for VGs is indicative he is using non PowerPath diskies.

He is likely having problems with his multipath configuration.

SO he needs to check:
- HBA driver settings if things changed.
- /etc/multpath.conf (what does multipath -ll show?)
- his VGs are likely on a RHCS cluster

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

He stated he's using PowerPath, PowerPath is an EMC Product, i think he will be good if he follows these instructions.
Ravi S. Banda
Regular Advisor

we're not using EMC. it is an EVA.

Since I'm using Remote Desktop => ILO2 connection, I had to take a screenshot for the multipath -ll

Please see attached.

I attached the screenshot for 'mount -a' command which gives the same error about special device not existing at the end of the document.

Thanks!
Ravi.
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Bingo!

Please send:

/etc/multipath.conf
complete output of "multipath -ll"
pvscan
/etc/fstab

Are you aware what RH version? (5.0, 5.2. 5.4?) and If you have the HP DM software instaled?

And are you sure this machine is not part of a CLuster where the VGs are likely activatedimportant somewhere?

Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
Ravi S. Banda
Regular Advisor

complete output of "multipath -ll"
Ravi: previously attached Doc2.docx - that was the best I could do with copy & paste of screenshots from RDP->ILO2 connection.

/etc/multipath.conf
Ravi: attached multipath_conf and PVSCAN Results.docx file.

pvscan results:
Ravi: Attached multipath_conf and PVSCAN Results.docx file.

/etc/fstab results:
Ravi: attached fstab_uname_results.docx file.

Are you aware what RH version? (5.0, 5.2. 5.4?) and If you have the HP DM software instaled?
Ravi: attached fstab_uname_results.docx file contains uname -a results. Release 5 update 4.

And are you sure this machine is not part of a CLuster where the VGs are likely activatedimportant somewhere?
Ravi: I am not 100% sure. It is possible, I guess.

Thanks!
Ravi S. Banda
Regular Advisor

fstab_uname_results.docx