1748038 Members
4980 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

fstab

Shirish Gadkari
Occasional Contributor

fstab

Last week I was trying to shutdown oracle database and two of my mount points had errors and I can not see all my volumes when I enter df -k command.

I can see fstab file in /etc directory but the detail entry in fstab file points to "/dev/vol/datadg/v38 /volume38 ufs rw 1 2", when I tried to go into datadg directory, this directory is NOT there.

How can I resolve this. I am not sysadmin, I am oracle DBA and do not have unix admin on staff.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: fstab

Hi, you posted an HP-UX question in a Tru64 forum. This thread can be moved to the HP-UX forum later.

You should get a Unix system admin! At least for this cases.

If the file systems are not mounted, a lot of thinks should be checked, for example, disks visibility (ioscan), file sytem consistency (fsck), volume group state (vgdisplay), check log messages, etc.

If you are not a Unix sys admin, and your disks are not mounted, this job can take a lot of time to you.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: fstab

Ivan, it could be Tru64 no? The naming using 'dg', not vg nor lv is a sing, as is the mention of UFS. The other topic by the same author suggests hpux though.

>> How can I resolve this. I am not sysadmin, I am oracle DBA and do not have unix admin on staff.

Well, you'll have to become a sysadmin, or hire one (contractor, consultant, support) right away.
Your company took some risks, and may have saved some money, but now it is time to pay up, either with blood, sweat and tears and/or cash.
If you want to tackle this, then start reading manpages! Start with volintro.
You'll probably also want to learn a bit about hwmgr. And since you had an error, figure out how disks are attached, how to replace them, how to restore the backups and so on.

When you talk/negotiate with someone to help you, you may want to be prepared and know:
What exact OS (version)
What hardware
What storage config?

If this is really important/urgent then you may want to leave a (cryptic) Email address and or phone number in a future reply such that folks can reach you to make and offer.

Best of luck!
Hein van den Heuvel
HvdH Performance Consulting.