1753448 Members
5880 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: genvmunix missing

Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

genvmunix missing

Hello. Somehow I cannot seem to find genvmunix anywhere on a system I am going to update (apply a patch). However, I tried rebuilding the generic kernel (doconfig -c GENERIC) and copied vmunix to /genvmunix. The patch doesn't seem to like this, when I do the pre-check it throws me this:

./genvmunix:
its origin cannot be identified.

Anyone know how can I get the patch to recognize this file ? or even how can I get the original genvmunix that is missing from my root file system ?

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14
Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

anyone please ?
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Sounds like you wll have to run through the "Patch Baseline Analysis/Adjustment" process after putting your new genvmunix in place. It's option 5 from the dupatch main menu.
Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your prompt reply... but I was wondering, is there any way I can get back that file ? the genvmunix one.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It should be on the relevant CD for the version of Tru64 that you're running, assuming it's not on your backup tapes...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

Strange enough, I copied this file from another node with the same Tru64 version and is doing the same thing. The media I have says Tru64 5.1A allthough I have version 5.1B.
Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

Still, I got the genvmunix file from the media cd I have and still it doesn't get recognized by the patch. What could be wrong ?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

If you're running 5.1B, you'll have to get genvmunix from a 5.1B CD...

Cheers,
Rob
Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

Rob, I can't seem to find the 5.1B cds, can I just use the generic (vmunix I just created) kernel ?

This is driving me nuts!
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

I doubt it. I think the patch pre-check does a chksum on the files, hence why it doesn't recognise the one you created.

Cheers,
Rob