Frequent Advisor

giving permission

user can execute bdf command but he cant execute
lvlnboot -v /dev/vg00 command,,,

where can i set this ??????
6 REPLIES 6

Re: giving permission

Hi,

you have to execute this command as user root or you have to set a sudo permission.

Best regards,

Joerg
Vivek Bhatia
Trusted Contributor

Hi Madhu,

Do a visudo, edit the file and provide the access to the user to sun the lvlnboot command.

And this command is not of any use for a normal user . In my setup only root should run these administration commands?

Thanks
Vivek Bhatia
Sunny123_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

Use sudo utility for this.

Set an Cmnd_alias for lvlnboot in your sudoers file.And give these permission for perticular user.

Regards
Sunny
subodhbagade
Regular Advisor

Hi,

To get the access to lvlnboot command, user should have sudo access.

To give the access add the user name in

/etc/sudoers or visudo file.

Regards,
Subodh.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

bdf is a read-only command and does no harm if run by users other than root, whereas lvlnboot is capable of doing things to your disks' lvm headers, like defining them as boot devices, dump devices or swap devices, which might damage the data contained in these volumes. So, even if your intention is to give the non-root user access to lvlnboot -v, which is just displaying the data, you will end up giving him/her quite dangerous command to mess with, should you grant this access via sudo.

My advice is, think twice before granting this access. Also, why a regular user should need access to a system level command like lvlnboot ?

>Mel: bdf is a read-only command and does no harm if run by users other than root

I would go further and say that it can help users do their own jobs without bothering the sysadmin.