108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

go back to previous root password

SOLVED
Go to solution
John R. Ulmer
Occasional Advisor

go back to previous root password

I'm in a situation that requires that I keep that same root password on an hpux 11.23 box.

Last week, I fat-fingered the root password several times and locked myself out, completely. No other avenue of approach.

So, rebooted single-user, tweaked /tcb/file/auth/r/root setting the password field empty.

Did /usr/sbin/passwd and set the new root password.

Rebooted and everything works. Fixed. Not.

Now, I come to find out (new to the job and environment) that the root pass must stay as it was.

The problem, when I try to set it back to what it was 4 days ago, it tells me I can not use a previous passwd. I know, in 99% of the cases, one should change the root pass periodically. But, suffice it to say, it this case, we have good reason for needing to keep it the same.

So, I've looked at /etc/pam.conf and /etc/pam_user.conf and I can find nothing that is enforcing the 'no previous passwd' rule.

What is enforcing this rule?

How do I get back to where I was last week?

No, we do not have a dependable backup. Otherwise, I'd have been restoring from tape.....

Coming from a linux background more than HPUX, I may be making some newb mistakes. Any advice on strategy or process would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Re: go back to previous root password

Hi,

The easy and best option is restore the below file from backup tape.
/tcb/files/auth/r/root

Suraj
John R. Ulmer
Occasional Advisor

Thanks guys.

'Got it straightened out.

It is not clear via the SAM interface how to modify the PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH rule. So, I went to /etc/default/security', set that param to 1. Then used SAM to reset root's password. (Probably would have been quicker at the command line.) Then, put /etc/default/security back the way it was.

All is good.
John R. Ulmer
Occasional Advisor

Did not realize closing a thread would allow me to enter comments on the way out.

See the post above for my resolution of the problem.