1748051 Members
5234 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: graphics in debian on DL 380 g6

AngelIEO
Occasional Advisor

graphics in debian on DL 380 g6

INstalling debian lenny on my new DL380 G6 I can not get X to start using the ati driver. It is an ati ES1000 graphics card but only when I change driver to "vesa" instead of "ati" in the xorg.conf does gnome start.
Any pointes on how to get the appropiate driver to work?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Goran┬аKoruga
Honored Contributor

Hello.

Man page for "radeon" says ES1000 is supported.

Did you check Xorg logfile when it fails?

Goran
AngelIEO
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Thanks. The x log file does not report any problems (attached). X does not crash, I just get a black screen. I once got the same problem with a desktop and had to set the modelines manually in the xorg.conf file, but for the proliant I dont seem to manage to find what modelines to use.
Maybe that is not the problem.
Any help please?
Thanks,
Angel
Goran┬аKoruga
Honored Contributor

Hi.

Can your monitor show information about the current mode? If it can, what does it show when you start X server?

Logfile says this:

(II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-1 using monitor section Configured Monitor
(II) RADEON(0): Total number of valid Screen mode(s) added: 0
(II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-1 using initial mode 1280x768

Is that the right output to use?

This mode definitely looks strange, so set the mode you want to use by writing xorg.conf manually.

Regards,
Goran
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

1280x768 would be a possible native resolution for an older/small widescreen LCD.

But the X.org radeon driver identifies it as a "color CRT", probably because it's plugged into an analog VGA connector.

A totally black screen might indicate the Xserver is trying to drive the display using a refresh frequency that the display cannot support. What's the brand and model of the display?

The log indicates the driver attempted to use the DDC (Display Data Channel) to get information about the display. But there is no information about detected frequency limits nor DDC-recommended display modes in the log, so perhaps it did not get the information.

I'm afraid it's time to find some technical documentation for your monitor. The most important thing would probably be the horizontal and vertical sync frequency ranges supportable by your monitor, and add them to the xorg.conf monitor section as HorizSync and VertRefresh statements. (HorizSync would be in kHz, VertRefresh in Hz.)

Modern X.org Xserver contains a built-in database of standard display modelines: usually it just needs some way to know what the display's limits are, and then it can automatically pick an "optimal" modeline for most common display resolutions.

MK
MK
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

One thing I've done before is to use one of the "live" version cd's of a debian variant and see what it uses. This could be Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc. Boot one of these and check out the settings in the xorg.conf once it's up and running.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
AngelIEO
Occasional Advisor

It is an HP TFT7600 Rackmount Keyboard and Monitor.
Here are some technical details:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/rack-options/TFT7600RKM/index.html
Any clues on what to put in the xorg.xconf file.
Thanks a lot
Goran┬аKoruga
Honored Contributor

Hello.

It says max. resolution is 1440 x 900 WXGA+ so start with something simple like 1024x768:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "HP"
HorizSync 30-81
VertRefresh 56-60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Generic Video Card"
Monitor "HP"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

Note that HorizSync and VertRefresh are relatively low and should be OK for your monitor - perhaps your HorizSync value is a bit lower, but given our limit on VertRefresh the 1024 mode should be fine.

Goran
AngelIEO
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the input.
Tried that setup without success. I still get a black screen.
Attached is the X log file.
Any other pointers?
Thanks,
Angel
Goran┬аKoruga
Honored Contributor

How about my question about monitor's capabilities to show mode info?

Goran