2923 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

group removed

Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

group removed

Dear Sir

i have use sudo to add root access to an oracle user , i use the issue to create a group(admin) and add the oracle user to this group then add this group to /etc/sudoers file, when i try to add oracle user too admin group using usermod command i do the following usermod -G admin oracle so as dba is a seconday group it is removed from th group and when i start the DB it was unable to satart with insufficient privialge error , i need to know o clariy , is removing this group even it is not promary group will make me unable to sql to oracle or is their any thing else , getteing that all files for oracle is owned by oracle and oinstall group . kindly clarify

BR;

fadia

fadia.marei
4 REPLIES 4
Jim_Walls
Occasional Advisor

Re: group removed

man usermod

Nighwish
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Check /etc/groups

check id -a

See if there is what you expect to see in group configuration.

Regards.

Wilfred Chau_1
Respected Contributor

with -G, it shouldn't remove the dba group from oracle.

what does "id oracle" show?  Do  you see both admin and dba group listed?

Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

Dear All sorry to be late

what i said that dba is a secondary group in oracle user and when i did usermod -G admin oracle; it removed all secondary groups for this user

but what i need an answer that oracle user was able to shutdown the database after dba removing but when it try to start the db again it gives error related to insuffiecnt privalge , is this acceptable even dba is a secodary group or there is something else i should check

fadia.marei